Gibson Les Paul BFG - one man's opinion...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluntage

Reaction score
Okay, I've seen a lot of hate for this guitar here and over at Harmony Central so I thought I'd give you guys a different spin on it...

Disclosure: I've been through a LOT of guitars throughout my nearly 20 years of playing. When I was young, working in a music store made it easy to bounce from one to another or rotating 2-3 at a time. I have never payed over $1000 for a guitar. Furthermore, I'm a "function over form" kind of guy, in general.

Several years back, I did a really stupid thing. I decided to "switch it up" and traded my beloved, but heavy, modifed Les Paul Studio for an American Strat. I hated it instantly... however, I stuck with it, thinking I just needed to adjust. I soon concluded my style of playing required humbuckers so I made an excellent deal on a used, but cherry, PRS CE22 Mahogany. While this guitar looked amazing and played well, it never did much for me. I can't put my finger on it, but it didn't live up to my memory of my Paul.

Fast forward to several weeks ago. I decided to make a concious effort to start playing again and decided I needed some new blood in order to stay focused. So, I meandered down to my local Gibson dealer and started playing Pauls... Studios, Standards, and... the BFG. Man, this thing is ugly... yet somehow very appealing. They had a black and a gold finish. The gold played and sounded MUCH better, and it looked like a worn down old Goldtop to boot (not at all yellowish, like they look online). First, the pickup combination is outstanding. The burstbucker 3 is HOT! Playing with the bridge pup is like cutting butter with a hot knife... smooth and creamy. In my opinion, quite a bit better sounding than the Dragon II bridge in my PRS. However, the guitar really shines when you engage the P90. I have never even played one of these pups before but the tonal range had me flabbergasted! It is noisy, however. Second, the lack of finish on the neck makes for smoother and faster playing than my old Studio ever did. I've heard/read a lot of complaints about the roughness of the finish and/or the frets, but I encountered neither problem with the 2 hanging in the store. Additionally, the setup on the gold finish was near flawless straight from Gibson. The only option I see no purpose for is the kill switch, but I have no use for such a device in my style of playing. Third, the chambered body is a life saver. The thing that made me trade my Paul in the first place was the weight. The BFG is light. Furthermore, it sounds louder and more resonant unplugged, possibly due to the chambers? Playing on the couch with no amp is even enjoyable with this puppy.

In short, I traded my PRS on the spot for the gold BFG and have played it every day, ever since. For me, it's perfect. I need tonal variety and excellent playability but don't want to bother with keeping it "pretty". We're still on our honeymoon, but I expect this relationship to last. Back with Gibson and it feels so good!

I tested one a few weeks ago and it's a very cool guitar. I didn't care much for the burstbucker, but the p90 was awesome. The looks are not everyone's cup of tea I imagine, and I agree with you about the gold one looking much better than the black one in RL. I love the wooden knobs.
I don't understand why they put a killswitch on this guitar and I would probably remove it and put the 3-way switch back there. I'd replace the burstbucker with some seymour duncan humbucker and use the 3-way cavity for a coilsplit or something.

Great guitar, good luck with it.

In short, I traded my PRS on the spot for the gold BFG and have played it every day, ever since. For me, it's perfect. I need tonal variety and excellent playability but don't want to bother with keeping it "pretty". We're still on our honeymoon, but I expect this relationship to last. Back with Gibson and it feels so good!

LOL You could have sold that to Gibson for there next add in guitar world!

Welcome back bty!

I am honestly glad to hear that you like that guitar. I don't know if I would have traded the PRS for it. I am a Gibson fan too. I have a pair of LP's and V's, an SG and an Explorer. I primarily play Gibsons with only a single Fender in the stable and it is an American Standard solely for some thin single coil action and a little tremolo. All my Gibsons are loaded with hums so I needed something a little different thus the return to a Fender Strat. I do love my Kahler in the V though for real trem action.

I think BFG stands for "Butt-fugly Guitar" because I really don't care for the looks of it. I am sure it plays nice and has some real versatility too. I just don't care for the cosmetics of it. I would much rather play something that looks classier. The knobs to me look hideous and those routes in the top insult the LP. I can jive with the actual finish but those parts just give me a bit of a cringe along with the looks of those pickups.

Yeah, this guitar has recieved less than favorable fanfare over at the Gibson forum also. I'm very curious about it personally, & I have yet to see one in a shop, but I think I'll try one out as soon as I do. I like the idea of the humbucker/P-90 combo, though it would be cool if gibson would try this combo in some of their more "classier" models. What are those marks on the top anyways, tooling marks that have not been sanded off? And I have to agree with Russ, those knobs are tacky, if I bought one, I think I would replace them with either LP standard-style knobs or Tele-style knobs. If you like the sound & the way it plays, then that's all that matters. I don't think I'd be willing to pay $1,000 for a brand new one, but with all the bad mouthing thats been going on with this axe, maybe these won't sell well, & Musician's Friend will start blowing them out for cheap. If so, I may buy one then....

I played one when i bought my Classic. Its OK really. Not as good as a Classic or Standard for lead guitar but if you like Green Day and Foo Fighters then this is THE only guitar you need to know

gts said:
what's BFG stand for??

(fwiw - have owned and played les pauls for 25+ years. stilll have one from '78)
I just hate acronyms! Write a cover letter applying for job include acronyms in your cover letter. :evil:

I think they *may* have lifted BFG from the video game Doom. They had a gun in there called the BFG 9000 which, you guessed it, stood for Big Fu#@#$ Gun.

Just my guess.

I've seen a BFG guitar with new knobs, pickup rings etc.. basically the guy took the guitar and finished it. It looked quite good imho. I'm not to crazy about the stock look. Especially those wooden knobs. I want to try one out though as I really like an unfinished neck on a Les Paul and there aren't that many out there.

Well, this guitar is not for everybody, that's for sure! But, for me, it works... and that is all that matters. 8)

Russ - Though it may not make sense to others, trading the PRS for the Gibson was the best decision I could have made. I hated playing that thing and I don't know why. Made me not want to practice. Since I got the Gibson, I have played everyday, even if only for half an hour!

Pyro - I disagree. This thing sounds as good as any Standard or Classic I have played for rhythm and for lead. To each his own, I guess.

I know the feeling about playing something that makes you not want to play. I also know how you can be inspired by a certain guitar. I am glad you got a new Gibby though.

Why would they replace a useful knob with a kill switch? Les Paul wiring already has one built in, it's called neck volume zero, bridge volume full, toggle rhythm/neck over and over. How dumb. I just don't get 'em but to each their own.

What's good is a post without images to look at? :?

Here' I'll provide one unrelated to this post other than a Les Paul
LesPaulBlond.JPG

gts said:
what's BFG stand for??

(fwiw - have owned and played les pauls for 25+ years. stilll have one from '78)

Actually BFG stands for , well exactly what the guitar is and was
desinged as .

Bare F*cking guitar

Just as it is stipped down and rough .

RR said:
What's good is a post without images to look at? :?

Here' I'll provide one unrelated to this post other than a Les Paul
LesPaulBlond.JPG

Here is my BFG:

GibsonBFGserialnr007870493.jpg

I bought one from MF.com, thought I was getting a great deal. I got it home, slightly turned off by the (non)finish. Plugged it in, and was very disappointed. I immediately sent it back for a refund. I wasn't happy at all with it.

Latest posts

Back