Getting the Mark IV to record better

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hailstorm350

Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm having some troubles getting the tones that I hear with my ears into the computer. I have a decent setup, Guitar I made (very smooth sounding) w/ dimarzio tonezone bridge -> Avatar 4x12 closed back straight cab (not great quality speakers) -> AKG C414 B-ULS SM57 AT2020 -> Presonus Firepod -> Logic express
I've tried so many things to get it to reproduce the sound I hear with my ears. I realize this may be in the wrong section because it has to do mainly with recording, but it pertains also to my mark IV.

I've tried lowering the bass a little bit on the lead and R.2. channels, but then it seems to get brittle almost in the recording. The best tone I acquired however, was in a jam session w/ a friend when I mic'd the cab very slightly off-axis straight on, about 6-8 inches away because i had heard that it would reproduce the sound a little better.

Well it did anyways, but I'm still not getting the type of sound that my friend gets from his crate GT3500 head and crate cab.

I don't have excellent speakers in my cabinet, but I don't really think that it would affect the tones the way I would like.

After all that I realized that I left out what style I'm playing. Well ok, I admit I'm a sucker for chevelle music, so I like that sound, but to be honest, I really like the sounds that bands like my chemical romance get from their gear. I realize that I have a Mark IV, not the amp they have, but I would like to get close to that really growling lead chord tone that I can use in my progressivesque, alternative, hard rock styles.

thanks so much for settings, tips, tricks, comments, whatever you'd like to throw my way.

Just in case you haven't read this:
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?p=51379&highlight=#51379

That guy has got himself some pretty cool sounding tone. Good luck.

~trem

thanks, thats along the lines of what I've been looking for.

thanks for the right direction.

Still open to suggestions!

Back