Getting rid of Hiss ???? I need some suggestions !!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evilnix

Reaction score
Ive heard stories of running Modern on 2nd Channel not 3rd !! For Classic Rock and Clean Im happy as hell but when I need that Crunch for this and that I hit the 3rd and it lights up with noise,noise,noise..................

I dont run racks and just use a little Boss M-50 for some delay and modulation here and there so the question is run it thru the loop or vice versa?and if I need a push (drive) wll a Noise Gate or D.I help my cause ??

and lastly can you pull tubes on the triple,to drop wattage heard this would love to clear up !!

Thanks new in the Boogie Family and enjoying it just need some guidance and information !!

Mesa Triple
2 by 2 by 12 Mesa Rec Cabs (in stereo)
Boss Me-5o

ESP LTD EC 400 Custom
ESP LTD EC 1000
Ibanez JS 1200
Ibanez SC Classic Modded

First off welcome to the board.

Take the time to read the manual on how channels 2 and 3 are voiced.

Do not pull tubes in a Triple like you can in the Dual. You'll notice on the impedence is raised or reduced in halves. Pulling two tubes in a TR creates a reduction of 1/3 and creates a mismatch with your impedance. Very bad.

Not being that familiar with the ME-50 I'd say as long as you use time based settings it would work well in the loop.

If you have too much hiss, lower the gain :lol:
I would run the fx in the loop with the mix turned as low as you can to get the fx sound you want. Also try lower the send knob, that can increase your hiss. I've never had hiss issues with my DR, so you might want to check the preamp tubes, especially if it's just that one channel. Your presence and treble controls are going to bring out that noise more the higher they are set (I keep my presence at about 3 or lower and my treble under noon on channel 3 modern).

tap on each preamp tube lightly with your fingernail and see if it makes the level of the hiss change momentarily, if one really makes it jump up or down change that one and see if it helps.

Welcome to the Board :D

If changing your preamp tubes and lowering your gain doesn't remove the hiss, you might try upgrading your cables and checking the electronics and internals of your guitars also. Sometimes a cheap cable can give you unwanted noise. Lack of proper shielding in your guitar's control cavity can also yiled unwanted noise. Sometimes guitars come with cheap electronics and other times the decent electronics wear out. In any event, it causes unwanted noise.

Russ is right cheap cables are noisy, try that, I never thought of that :p.

Latest posts

Back