Getting a few more tones out of the Mark V:25 and Rectoverb

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orionz06

Reaction score
What is the most feasible way to get a few more tones from these two heads, short of buying another head and switching equipment?

I love the cleans on the Mini Mark and I love the tight metal sounds I can get. Boost the ch.1 to get a rock/blues tone? Ideally I would have a metal tone, punk tone, and a clean tone. With some work the metal tone can be decent without the eq engaged.

Trying to seek the best all-amp solution or the purest Mesa solution.

Flux Drive EQ or Throttle Box EQ into the clean?

Don't know how long you've had yours, but there is a metric boogieton of tones in them as it is. Other than a boost, I'm going to take a good while exploring mine with my various guitars, before I start looking for more flavors with pedals. I'm thinking that may be completely unnecessary!

Bottom line is they only have two channels each. You could put the preamps of each in a looper pedal or HGAS, so you would have 4 available tones, two from the MV25 and two from the RV.

You can also get two additional tones from a boost or OD pedal. The two you listed would do the trick.

orionz06 said:
What is the most feasible way to get a few more tones from these two heads, short of buying another head and switching equipment?
Turn a few of them there knobs maybe?

Deciding what tones to settle on is the blessing/curse of these amps! So many awesome tones. It doesn't matter what music I listen to prior to turning the amp on. I am always able to dial in a very similar tone to what I hear in my head at that time. Pretty cool!

The problem is I could likely set up three of these heads and still want to have a few more channels. Sooooo good.

But yes, I love the Rectoverb/Recto sound too. So much music I grew up on was from those amps.

ryjan said:
elvis said:
As I understand it, the question was about footswitch-selectable discrete tones.
Ah, I see.
I got clean and metal down pat. What exactly defines a punk tone?

So that's interesting... I think it's my metal tone with mids.

Think Pennywise, The Offspring, NOFX, Fenix TX, and a few others. The Offspring and NOFX are Mark based, the others are recto. Funny enough the sounds I like more I had assumed were recto but just recently learned they were Mark.

Wife let me have it early. Long story short I was gonna buy it on Black Friday and she decided it was a better gift and bought it instead making me wait.

I'm digging mkIV mode with my EQ scooped for everything. Still in a honeymoon phase but this is the first time MY SOUND was right there.

Latest posts

Back