FYI I've found the ultimate tube for V1 of the Mark V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madryan

Reaction score
It's always been my experience that boogie preamp tubes are absolute crap for the most part. I've got a bunch of tubes lying around so I decided to do some tube swapping in the Mark V to see if I could make it sound a bit more like a Mark IV.

Some people have complained that there's just something "missing" from the Mark V that the Mark IV and previous amps like my old Mark III had. I tossed one of my trusty Jan GE 5751's (NOS 80's military) in V1 and it absolutely transformed the amp.

Supposedly these tubes are a lower gain version of the 12AX7 but I didn't lose any gain. The amp just lost a bit of fizz it had, it lost a bit of microphonic ringing that was present (Just a hint) and it gained this huge thick ballsy bite that seemed to be missing that I remember from previous versions of the Mark series amps.

So, give Dougs tubes a ring and order one if you feel it's worth the $20 to try out. While you're at it score a NOS 12AT7 for the PI as this does wonders for the touch sensitivity of the amp.

davidl13 said:
Replacing preamp tubes voids your warranty???? Are you sure?

In the manual, it says you may only use Mesa tubes if you want to keep your warranty. Someone else posted here that he asked customer service about this, and they said it was true. However, apparently what everyone does is use whatever tubes they like, but if the amp needs service, they just swap back in Mesa tubes.

eudaimonia02912 said:
You voided your warranty!

Not true.....only if non Mesa output tubes cause a problem would this occur. Of course it is Mesa's discretion to determine if they caused this, so be careful what you use and make sure the idle current (set by bias) is in proper range. If unsure, have a tech set it up or keep those as Mesa brand.

Preamp and rectifier tubes are not the problem...how do I know? I called Mesa and asked them.
So experimenting with different preamp tubes is OK. 8)

Personally, I like the '60's Telefunken 12ax7 (of which I have a few). Really makes my Stiletto sound nice! :) :) :)

Good luck! :D

Old BF Shred said:
eudaimonia02912 said:
You voided your warranty!

Preamp and rectifier tubes are not the problem...how do I know? I called Mesa and asked them.

I read your post, called them just now, and asked them. They told me that I must use Mesa pre-amp tubes to keep the warranty.

I'm not accusing you of being wrong or misremembering your conversation. I suspect that different customer service people will say different things.

madryan said:
I tossed one of my trusty Jan GE 5751's (NOS 80's military) in V1 and it absolutely transformed the amp. ...The amp just lost a bit of fizz it had, it lost a bit of microphonic ringing that was present (Just a hint) and it gained this huge thick ballsy bite ....
i did this recently with a Mullad Reissue 12AX7. it likewise has a hair less gain than most 12AX7s. i had tried it in V3 but didn't like it; i play high-gain sounds and the lower gain wasn't enough gain for me.

but in V1, it sounds great. the amp lost the sharp high-end i was getting and now has a lot more midrange bark--thick growly midrange instead of sizzle or overly-bright harshness. my previous tube there was a Tung Sol reissue--a nice tube, which i may try in V3 now, but the Mullard RI is much smoother and thicker.

i think i'll get a 5751 and try that in V1 too....

scott from _actual time_ said:
madryan said:
I tossed one of my trusty Jan GE 5751's (NOS 80's military) in V1 and it absolutely transformed the amp. ...The amp just lost a bit of fizz it had, it lost a bit of microphonic ringing that was present (Just a hint) and it gained this huge thick ballsy bite ....
i did this recently with a Mullad Reissue 12AX7. it likewise has a hair less gain than most 12AX7s. i had tried it in V3 but didn't like it; i play high-gain sounds and the lower gain wasn't enough gain for me.

but in V1, it sounds great. the amp lost the sharp high-end i was getting and now has a lot more midrange bark--thick growly midrange instead of sizzle or overly-bright harshness. my previous tube there was a Tung Sol reissue--a nice tube, which i may try in V3 now, but the Mullard RI is much smoother and thicker.

i think i'll get a 5751 and try that in V1 too....

Those JAN GE 5751's are a much higher quality tube than anything produced these days. They sound awesome as well.

eudaimonia02912 said:
I read your post, called them just now, and asked them. They told me that I must use Mesa pre-amp tubes to keep the warranty.

Anyone try the Mesa SPAX7 sold on their site? It says it is a premium upgrade for 12AX7 positions.

Latest posts

Back