FX Routing Question For Rectifier Recording Preamp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idealguitars

Reaction score
Should I run my Rocktron Replifex in the Loop of the Rectifier Recording Preamp or should I run from the record outs into the Replifex and then out of the Replifex and into my soundcard??

Thx. I've tried it and it does seem better. I just seem that it kind of defeats the purpose of an FX loop.

The FX loop on the rec pre sucks, I have no idea why they even bothered to put it there.

suggestion-- if your soundcard has stereo inputs, run the replifex on one Rec Pre out only and then mix the "dry" and "wet" tracks to taste.

CoG said:
The FX loop on the rec pre sucks, I have no idea why they even bothered to put it there.

To be brutally honest, I still have to find a Mesa with a decent FX loop.

Good idea. Nice thing about the Replifex is that you can keep the signal analog if you don't use "Hush" which I don't. I think this aetup will be fine.
One other thing. Is the 20/20 a good power amp for the Pre Rec at lower volumes?

That's a nice feature.

Hell yes, with a few caveats.

First, the 20/20 has a midrangier tone than the 6L6-based power amps. The good news is that you can cut through the mix better than a lot of other Recto-type amps. At band volumes Vintage and Modern both have a real snarl to them that I don't hear in most Recto circuits (other guitarist in the band has a Roadster.) Bad news is that you will never really get the humungous low-end WHOMP. Personally, I've never really been after that tone... that's what the dude with the four fat strings is for... but YMMV.

Second thing is Dyna-Watt, which can take a little getting used to. Basically, it accentuates your picking dynamics if you are playing at any real volume (you'll have to ask someone else how it works.) Once you get used to it, it's one of those things that makes you sound better than you are, especially for classic rock-type soloing or clean-ish leads :) However, it doesn't work very well for high-gain shredding, sounds kind of harsh.

Clean tones are all great. It's basically impossible to get a bad clean tone.

Last thing, the 20/20 is still plenty loud. If I have it turned up halfway it's way past time to grab the earplugs, and my house is shaking.

Latest posts

Back