• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate toThe Boogie Board and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

FS: Mesa Mark V head (w/ spare tubes)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heritage Softail said:
Very few things stay on top of my tone world for a year :lol:
My '71 goldtop LP has been the pinnacle of my tone world for 23 years+ and going. :shock:

MusicManJP6 said:
It just matches my current situation better than a fancy tube amp that will never see the massive volume levels it is capable of producing...
I can see your point, but I would not sell a good tube amp, just to finance a SS preamp that has to be fed to a (tube?) power amp. Volume is only relative to what you are comparing it against. :wink:

JOEY B. said:
I can see your point, but I would not sell a good tube amp, just to finance a SS preamp that has to be fed to a (tube?) power amp. Volume is only relative to what you are comparing it against. :wink:

I'm going for a SS power amp as well. Clean power! :)

MusicManJP6 said:
A friend of mine got one a month ago and after hearing it twice I asked him to bring it over and let me borrow it for a few days. That was all it took. We ran it through his power amp into my 3/4 back cab. Sounds killer! We had the cab sims turned off. This is how I'll most likely run it when I get one. I'll probably save some cash and go with the Standard.

How did I miss THIS thread????? MusicMan getting rid of the MarkV??? I blacked out for a full minute when I saw who the thread author was!!! :shock:

...........But I hope you enjoy your new AxeFX!!!

fluff191 said:
How did I miss THIS thread????? MusicMan getting rid of the MarkV??? I blacked out for a full minute when I saw who the thread author was!!! :shock:

Lol, dude! Yea, it's true. She is officially sold and I have an AXE-FX Standard on the way...

please post alot of clips dude. It should be nice and easy to get a bunch of clips recorded, no need for excessive volumes, or fiddling with mic placement. love to hear it so we can compare it to other recorded clips of the amps themselves.

dmcguitar said:
please post alot of clips dude. It should be nice and easy to get a bunch of clips recorded, no need for excessive volumes, or fiddling with mic placement. love to hear it so we can compare it to other recorded clips of the amps themselves.

You bet. I plan on doing some recording once I get my presets setup for sure!

I just purchased the rest of my gear I need to complete my new 'rig'. 3 space rack bag, ART SLA-2 power amp, and Behringer FCB1010 footcontroller. It should all be here this week! I'm keeping the Mesa 3/4 back because it sounds killer with the AXE with cab sims turned off. The EV speaker ensures there is little coloration and it can handle anything the 200 watts (bridged) power amp will be able to throw at it. Might even add another to run in stereo in the near future. It's gonna be a fun week!

Not trying to be a jerk, and I'll say this since I believe the OP said it's sold....

Why are used prices retarded on these V's? Nothing against any buyers, but why would someone pay $1900 when they can buy a new one for $2000?

My tail could possibly wag for a V, if they were going for normal $1200ish realms....

Again, take my words in a "light" spirit.

A near brand new MESA 'flagship' amp that is in high demand and low supply holds its value - especially when taken care of. Used prices will taper off over time, but if someone doesn't want to wait for MESA to build one then they can buy one used and save a few hundred bucks (don't forget about taxes and shipping where applicable). You'll be waiting awhile if you are waiting on used prices to drop to $1200. Even Mark IV used prices rarely drop that low unless the condition is questionable. Don't forget about the warranty too. My amp still has 4 years and 9 months left on its warranty. I would rather buy an amp from someone that knows how to use a tube amp that bought it new than off the floor at a Guitar Center or the like!

EVM-12L paired with a solid state power amp, and a modeling preamp????? I am curious to how it will sound cranked up. I understand your need to play quietly, and thus the decision for the preamp. I might have opted for a MESA 20/20 as a lower power amplifier, though. I just like the "juicy" tube poweramp sound, FWIW.

JOEY B. said:
EVM-12L paired with a solid state power amp, and a modeling preamp????? I am curious to how it will sound cranked up. I understand your need to play quietly, and thus the decision for the preamp. I might have opted for a MESA 20/20 as a lower power amplifier, though. I just like the "juicy" tube poweramp sound, FWIW.

For me, it's about the way tubes break up as much as the "juicy" factor.

I totally understand what you are saying MM. Going from smaller/lower watt amps myself, I went out and bought some Vater hearing protection for drummers to keep from going deafer. It has interchangble core pieces to control the db cut, keeps the frequency band intact, attenuates the volume across all bands. Getting my setup into the sweet spot, (MKV and Single Rec heads in 2x12 cabs each,ran stereo) it has to get quite loud. Earplugs and distant neighbors are a good thing. 8)

There may be an Axe, 50W stereo SS amp into two 1x12 cabs in my future some day. Just not today, unless I win the lottery.

Heritage Softail said:
There may be an Axe, 50W stereo SS amp into two 1x12 cabs in my future some day. Just not today, unless I win the lottery.

You'll want more than 50W if it's solid state if you want run stereo and have any headroom.

I went with solid state because I am getting away from tubes altogether with this new rig. They have their advantages, but they also color the tone slightly when you are talking about a modeler like the AXE that is pumping out different preamps depending on the preset. It is very gratifying to not have to worry about tubes TBH. I will be able to fire up the rig up for a few minutes if I am crunched for time and not think about how hard it is going to be on the tubes.

The EV is a very transparent speaker so it should keep coloration down to a minimum. I've already heard an AXEFX run through it and it sounds fantastic!

I just ordered a Carvin DCM1000 to use with my Axe-Fx Ultra. I will be running stereo Thiele loaded with EVL12L's.
The Carvin pushes 225w per side at 8ohms. I should have it hooked up later this week.
Can't wait to get it all hooked up.

DaveP said:
I just ordered a Carvin DCM1000 to use with my Axe-Fx Ultra. I will be running stereo Thiele loaded with EVL12L's.
The Carvin pushes 225w per side at 8ohms. I should have it hooked up later this week.
Can't wait to get it all hooked up.

Definitely let us know how that sounds! I bet it will rock!!

Just an update on the sound of the 2 EVM's in stereo using a DCM1000.
I found using the Axe Fx with the cab sims on made it sound muddy. Sounds better with the
cabinet sims off. I think the only way to fully utilize the cab sims is with
the full range flat response speaker, no way around it. If you typically use a bunch of different speakers
that would be the way to go. I only use the EVM's or a 4x12 with v30's so getting into a FRFR speaker is not
on my immediate priority list.

DaveP said:
Just an update on the sound of the 2 EVM's in stereo using a DCM1000.
I found using the Axe Fx with the cab sims on made it sound muddy. Sounds better with the
cabinet sims off. I think the only way to fully utilize the cab sims is with
the full range flat response speaker, no way around it. If you typically use a bunch of different speakers
that would be the way to go. I only use the EVM's or a 4x12 with v30's so getting into a FRFR speaker is not
on my immediate priority list.

If you are using a real cab with the AXE then it is a MUST to turn those cab sims off. It will then sound how it should - organic.

Play with the power amp setting in the global menu as well. I can't decide which setting I like best.

fluff191 said:
MusicManJP6 said:

:lol: MusicMan selling an amp? hard to believe!!! :lol:

A 20/20 is still too loud for just playing around the house if you have a wife/gf/housemates/parents.

I have a buddy who just picked up an Ultra because he has a new baby and it's just not practical for him to have a full rig around. His project is also very commercially oriented so they're concerned with getting tones that will work just as well on shitty Myspace compression or satellite radio, which is kind of a different game. He's gotten a couple really good tones out of it, one AC30ish one and one Uberschall-y one in particular, but he's spent weeks diddling and dialing to get them.

rjf said:
My tail could possibly wag for a V, if they were going for normal $1200ish realms....

Supply and demand. Want one now? Buy used and pay what the market demands. If you need a brand new one, you'll have to wait. As Mark V numbers increase and they're easier to get, the price will come down. But $1200? That's hardly realistic when late model Mark IVs in mint condition are getting $1400+.

Back