Frying Bacon Sound

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chumpchange

Reaction score
My DC-3, rehearsed with it last night. Had the vol. kinda loud but not too much.

Turned it on today, plenty of time for the tubes to warm up.

Now in the signal(both channels), there's a trashy sound in the background of the signal that stops once the signal weakens to a certain point.

Does this at low volume, low gain, going straight into the amp...

What should I suspect? Tubes, speaker, other,...?

Tried different guitars. Same results.

Preamp tube is a likely suspect and something easy to bird-dog if you have a preamp tube that is known to be quiet. Place the good tube in V1 and turn on the amp. If the sound persists, reinstall the original V1 and roll V2 with the known good tube. Continue with the remaining preamps.

where's the best place to buy tubes? is it best to stay with mesa tubes or is it open for opinion?

chumpchange said:
where's the best place to buy tubes? is it best to stay with mesa tubes or is it open for opinion?
Vintage tubes will open up a world of possibilites, and I recommend exploring them. However, for the purposes of the test you should use a tube you know to be quiet. If you have no replacements, you should probably use a new Mesa tube. SPAX7 Mesas are know to be very quiet but pricey.

Your noise could be something else, so I'd wait to get some responses here from people who know your amp and it's issues. You could also PM board member Monsta-tone, or wait for his response. I believe he works on DCs.

Latest posts

Back