Found a Like new 4x12

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shnapper

Reaction score
Went into a store with the intention on buying the little roadster 212 cab for when my roadster head arrives so I don't get stuck without a cab.

They had a like new 4x12 rectifer cab for a good price so I got that instead.
Now does anyone have experience with this cab, I just couldn't pass up the price so I dove in. I have no regrets just a little blind(did a fast test in store using a DR solo head) on what to expect as far as matching it up with the roadster head.

Any thoughts or opinions would be great so I kinda know what to expect when I finally run roadster power through it..........

Thanks......... :D

shnapper said:
Went into a store with the intention on buying the little roadster 212 cab for when my roadster head arrives so I don't get stuck without a cab.

They had a like new 4x12 rectifer cab for a good price so I got that instead.
Now does anyone have experience with this cab, I just couldn't pass up the price so I dove in. I have no regrets just a little blind(did a fast test in store using a DR solo head) on what to expect as far as matching it up with the roadster head.

Any thoughts or opinions would be great so I kinda know what to expect when I finally run roadster power through it..........

Thanks......... :D

Whitch one is it ? standard or traditional ? They are both great cabs . I couldnt get by without mine anymore .

Aye barry...

It's the 4x12 rectifier standard/slant cabinet. I opened it up to have a look at things, looks good as far as craftsmanship. I prefer they would clean there solder joints and free them from flux. It's strange to me being paid to solder from numerous companies Motorola GEG, Honeywell, Acoustic imaging etc to see a flux ridden solder joint..

I was trained to clean the solder joint and remove all flux.. The speaker wiring is soldered at the jack and onto the speaker terminals and looks nice so I guess leaving a little flux is no big deal.

All in all the cab seems to be built extremely well. Another reason I opened it up was to look at the v30's. I'm always a sucker for "net reviews" and I read alot about people not liking the v30's. Some actually have dropped two of the 30's for Gt75's and run them in conjuction with the v30's for more low end.

I love old style rock, blues and jazz so I don't think I'll need speakers for heavy "Lamb of God" type chords. I think the v30's should do just fine no matter what I decide to attempt to play. The v30's also have tiny white stickers that read ipswich, england on the magnets which is also good to see since I've read on here some complaints of lower quality manufacturing from other countries..........

Happy Holidays All........

shnapper said:
Aye barry...

It's the 4x12 rectifier standard/slant cabinet. I opened it up to have a look at things, looks good as far as craftsmanship. I prefer they would clean there solder joints and free them from flux. It's strange to me being paid to solder from numerous companies Motorola GEG, Honeywell, Acoustic imaging etc to see a flux ridden solder joint..

I was trained to clean the solder joint and remove all flux.. The speaker wiring is soldered at the jack and onto the speaker terminals and looks nice so I guess leaving a little flux is no big deal.

All in all the cab seems to be built extremely well. Another reason I opened it up was to look at the v30's. I'm always a sucker for "net reviews" and I read alot about people not liking the v30's. Some actually have dropped two of the 30's for Gt75's and run them in conjuction with the v30's for more low end.

I love old style rock, blues and jazz so I don't think I'll need speakers for heavy "Lamb of God" type chords. I think the v30's should do just fine no matter what I decide to attempt to play. The v30's also have tiny white stickers that read ipswich, england on the magnets which is also good to see since I've read on here some complaints of lower quality manufacturing from other countries..........

Happy Holidays All........

I have the the traditional slant and it was the best thing I did for my rig . I havent opened it up but its good to know the celestions are still coming from good 'ol east anglia ! My mother is from England so i dont mind supporting that economy when I can .

www.toyzzband.com

Sounds great.

As for more low end, why would you need it? The Rectifier and then oversized cab on top of that already has soo much bass that I can't see anyone needing more.

ibanez4life SZ! said:
Sounds great.

As for more low end, why would you need it? The Rectifier and then oversized cab on top of that already has soo much bass that I can't see anyone needing more.

I was wondering that myself when I read some of the reviews on Harmony central. 90% of the reviews are possitive with few giving some technical jargon on frequency response of the v30 not being vintage sounding at all Etc... One reviewer wrote the bottom end broke up when playing harsh metal, I figure the person must not know how to play or is slamming the frets in an attempt to play over his head or something LOL!

I personally CANNOT give a review on the sound yet as I have no head to power it LOL! I started this thread to see how actual boogie owners can describe there experiences with this cab.

:) :D

I much prefer the traditional cab over the standered recto cab, tighter bottem end and more focused mids. The traditionals are more suited for rock and hard rock where the oversized are more for the metal with the chug a chug a chug.

I have two traditionals, one slant and one straight front. The straight front is kind of a mix between the traditional and the standard and I plan to make it more like a traditional completly. The slant traditional is for sale so that is why i need to tighten up the other.

So now i am sure you are you asking how i plan on tightening it up, so here is a little trick for all you guys with the standard (over sized) cabs that want to tighten it up. Goto your local arts and crafts store and pick up some of the stuffing they put in stuffed animals. You can either let it free flow in the cab or glue it to the back panel. Now be carefull not to go over board and over stuff it, one little bag should do.

Why does this work I am sure you are asking. Well what makes the oversized (standard recto) cabs more boomier is there is more air mass inside the cab. By adding the stuffing you reduce the air mass making it more like a traditional. It will tighten up the bottem end and give you more focus on the mids.

I know of the technique to fill the cab with something to reduce air space, some home speaker/subwoofer manufacturers use this to reduce cab resonance/reduce air space etc.......

I also have used it in subwoofer boxes for car stereo applications as well. If you want to go one step further you can seal the cab completely by applying a bead of silicone before reinstalling to rear cover and load the cab which will really tighten things up.

I was looking at the specs and the traditional cab is only 3/4 to 1 inch(4 cubic inches) smaller than the recto cab, I could easily fill my recto as an experiment in sound. No matter the differences in sound, I'm sure can make this recto cab sound the way I want granted I don't like the way it sounds unmodified. Once again for the price I paid I just couldn't pass it up so I will just have to make the best of it.............

Thanks for all the replies, so far it appears most prefer the smaller stiletto trad. cab hmmmmmm

I run my recto with EL-34s, and the oversized cab is perfect for it. The tubes tighten the amp, so the larger cab just works to make the sound bigger while retaining the bass.

Is filling the cab really a good way to tighten woofiness in speaker though? Even for home entertainment systems?

ibanez4life SZ! said:
I run my recto with EL-34s, and the oversized cab is perfect for it. The tubes tighten the amp, so the larger cab just works to make the sound bigger while retaining the bass.

Is filling the cab really a good way to tighten woofiness in speaker though? Even for home entertainment systems?

I think a better way to put would be tune the cab for the speaker instead of tighten woofiness without spending hours of CAD time designing the perfect enclosure. I mean were talking a guitar cab here, I don't expect it to have $100,000 mono block home audiophile definition LOL!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back