For those who did it,

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gem12

Reaction score
For those who did the upgrade from Mark IIC to C+.
Is Re-cap included in the upgrade or it's an extra charge from Boogie.
Wanted to know coz I will be dropping off mine.

Thnx

Recaps are extra. The caps themselves are pretty cheap and it doesn't take that long to do. Mike B will usually recommend changing ones that appear faulty or in need or replacement. You have to request to have them all changed.

I just got my IIC->IIC+ back from Mesa a few weeks ago. When I sent it in, I wasn't given the option...it was just:

"Our *technician* likes to go over these amps before doing the upgrade to make sure that they are functioning properly. This usually involves replacing some parts...all of which is an added cost. This maintenance check usually adds $75 to $150 to the cost of the upgrade".

It was definitely presented to me as if it wasn't even a choice. It was basically a heads-up that the cost of the upgrade was going to be even more expensive.

Now, on an amp this old, you probably want it checked out. Apparently, mine really needed it. They replaced quite of few components on my amp (see below). Perhaps if you had the skills to go over it yourself yourself before you sent it in, you'd save yourself some $$$. But, since I knew that MikeB would be doing it (though the guy on the phone never once used his name), I was content to pay the extra charge.

So, for me, the charges were:

Resistor: 680Ohm, 2W..............$2.25 x 1
Capacitor: 220uF, 300V............$8.80 x 2
Capacitor: 47uF, 100V..............$1.75 x 2
Pot: 1M...............................$1.55 x 2
Tube: 6L6 STR-440.................$42 x 2
Reverb Tank:........................$37 x 1
Labor:.................................$100

Plus the cost of the upgrade itself: $400 to MikeB
Plus the cost of shipping on the way back $34.

So, that's a lot of green for the upgrade. $681 all in total.

Be prepared.

I decided to send mine in for the mod. Will be sending it off sometime next week. Getting a new headshell for it too!

Only I'm sending it from Australia!

$600 - Shipping to and from Petaluma
$400 - Mod to IIC+
~$150 - Maintanence
$275 - Headshell

I'm a little crazy when it comes to finding the right tone...

hugsy41 said:
I decided to send mine in for the mod. Will be sending it off sometime next week. Getting a new headshell for it too!

Only I'm sending it from Australia!

$600 - Shipping to and from Petaluma
$400 - Mod to IIC+
~$150 - Maintanence
$275 - Headshell

I'm a little crazy when it comes to finding the right tone...

Just a wee bit???? :D I think we all are when it comes to our tone.

Holy crap...$600 (AU?) Dollars for shipping!?!?

Whether US or AU $, that's a lot of green (or whatever color your money is)!

Chip

chipaudette said:
Holy crap...$600 (AU?) Dollars for shipping!?!?

Whether US or AU $, that's a lot of green (or whatever color your money is)!

Chip

Well, Mesa told me it would be $300 US shipping return to me, and I have a friend who can get me decent pricing on shipping to their (around $200 Aus) so all in all I guess just over $500 Aus for shipping. But everything else is in US currency.

...Just thinking about it, I might be hit with some import tax aswell getting it back into Australia!

A hundred dollar bench fee is peanuts. Any business that doesn't get $100 an hour for labor can't stay in business.

I am curious how they pick and choose components for replacement. I wonder if they have a list of stuff that tends to go bad. Most components do not look different before (or even after) they go bad.

I've got no problems with the cost of getting the work done. Nope. They gave me fair warning.

I wonder why they chose to replace both of my volume knobs (the two 1M pots). What would happen to those two pots that wouldn't happen to the others? Hmm....

Also, I wonder what kind of taper they have. I mean, I'm sure they're audio taper, but you know the whole controversy with later IIC+ compared to earlier IIC+ where Mesa switched their pot vendor (hehe) and got much more linear pots (which is a bad thing). Presumably, between 1985 and 2009 they've gotten better pots again. Just wondering.

Chip

Mike B changed mine as well to a 1m pot. said it was more period correct. (original) never quite understood why the one that was in there wasn't. I should have mine back on Friday and I will see what if any difference it made.

chipaudette said:
I've got no problems with the cost of getting the work done. Nope. They gave me fair warning.

I wonder why they chose to replace both of my volume knobs (the two 1M pots). What would happen to those two pots that wouldn't happen to the others? Hmm....

Also, I wonder what kind of taper they have. I mean, I'm sure they're audio taper, but you know the whole controversy with later IIC+ compared to earlier IIC+ where Mesa switched their pot vendor (hehe) and got much more linear pots (which is a bad thing). Presumably, between 1985 and 2009 they've gotten better pots again. Just wondering.

Chip

They did not switch vendors. CTS moved manufacturing to Taiwan. These pots were used on all IIC's after August 1984, MK III's, MKIVA and early B's in some positions.
Later pot were CTS 16mm for Dual Rectifiers, MK IV's etc. In 2008 they switched to another brand, but it appears that they went back to full sized CTS pots in the MK V.
Mid production pots work fine, but are more erratic in their sweep so you have to use your ears a bit. About 64% of all IIC+'s used the later pots. As for any controversy, for some
players it may be a benefit to have a late C+. With more gain and treble response they can peel paint, which I for one enjoy.

Well, UPS just picked up my IIC today to be sent to Petaluma for the mod. Fingers crossed it was the right decision to make! Hopefully it will be back before Christmas...

Latest posts

Back