For those hobbiests who play their V at home

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ixoye777

Reaction score
I fall squarely into this group. I got the V because of the versatility and the ability to have good tube tones at low volume. I love CH1 & 2 but have always struggled to find tones I like on CH3. I have always found CH3 to be a bit harsh, tinny and overall thin. For chunky palm mutting metal and the like I always use Mark 1 on Ch2. I have kept trying to get a good sound out of any of the modes on Ch3 for metal but to no avail.

A couple days ago for the first time with the V I played Seek & Destroy to a backing track. SWEET MOMMA! With the drums and bass under this amp it is a totally different animal. I then loaded up some other Metallica backing tracks (MOP, Creeping Death, etc) and I am now in love with CH3.

I have read a bunch of others here on the forums comment on how nicely the V cuts through the mix, etc and now I can finally understand what they are talking about. So, for anyone else who just plays at home try loading up some backing tracks to play along with and you will hopefully be as thrilled as I am :)

All Mark amps cut extremely well in a band mix. Funny how the frequencies and voicings that cut so well with other instruments make it sound strange by itself.

ixoye777 said:
I fall squarely into this group. I got the V because of the versatility and the ability to have good tube tones at low volume. I love CH1 & 2 but have always struggled to find tones I like on CH3. I have always found CH3 to be a bit harsh, tinny and overall thin. For chunky palm mutting metal and the like I always use Mark 1 on Ch2. I have kept trying to get a good sound out of any of the modes on Ch3 for metal but to no avail.

A couple days ago for the first time with the V I played Seek & Destroy to a backing track. SWEET MOMMA! With the drums and bass under this amp it is a totally different animal. I then loaded up some other Metallica backing tracks (MOP, Creeping Death, etc) and I am now in love with CH3.

I have read a bunch of others here on the forums comment on how nicely the V cuts through the mix, etc and now I can finally understand what they are talking about. So, for anyone else who just plays at home try loading up some backing tracks to play along with and you will hopefully be as thrilled as I am :)

Just curious what kind of cabinet were you using before playing with backing tracks? I have the combo and CH3 sounds thin at home on low volumes without using one of my separate cabs. It's a whole different animal through my widebody C90 closed back or V30 Vert 2x12 cab...even on low volume. Of course, eq on as well.

I found that even at bedroom volumes setting all 3 channels to 90 W Variac mode produced the most pleasing tones to my ears at least. :mrgreen:

APEMAN said:
- For 45W setting it is important to set the right speaker impedance. Because of the use of only two 6L6es instead of four you have to connect your 8Ohm speaker to the 4Ohm output to correct that.

So if i understand,

i can plug my 4x12 rectifier cab loaded whit 4x8ohms speakers in the 4 ohms jack of my MarkV?

and do i plug the cable in the 4 ohms jack of the cab as well?

can i do the same whit the 10W setting?

First the manual say 10W used 2 tubes in a special configuration (one inner and one outer tube).

Second, the whole discussion about the output load is somehow incorrect I think. The signal is amplified par the preamp stage than the power stage. The resulting signal is feed to the output transformer primary winding. The OT secondary winding provides the signal for the speakers. The full winding is the 8 ohms outputs. There is a tap on that secondary winding for the 16 ohms output. How come changing the input signal would change the output impedance?

Just an observation. I'm no electrical engineer but as some technical expertise and that got me thinking. I know of a similar thread on the Marshall Forum. May be related to some design details....

I thought that by using the power scaling switches and not removing tubes it allowed the OT impedance to remain correct eliminating the need to change speaker impedence. I think the switches just shut off the HT to the tubes and leaves them connected to the OT, but not amplifying the signal.

Dom

Thanks APEMAN! I feel more confident now. Interesting. As for the 10 watts, without resorting to the schematics the simple tube diagram at the end of the manual indicates which two tubes are used. As far as I can remember the discussions/posts the 10W settings works as some sort of a pseudo Class A stage where the second tube is not doing much but mirroing the other......

Tried the low volume setting at 45W with 4 ohms out. Felt Very nice ! I prefer that than 8 ohm
I still think that it need to be cranked a little (I play very very quiet bedroom level) to get the best out of it and remove the boxiness of the sound.

raoul_123 said:
Tried the low volume setting at 45W with 4 ohms out. Felt Very nice ! I prefer that than 8 ohm
I still think that it need to be cranked a little (I play very very quiet bedroom level) to get the best out of it and remove the boxiness of the sound.

I agree - the amp opens up quite a bit once it gets just above shouting levels. This is especially true when in 45w/4ohms!

Back