Foot switch, clicking noise Mark V anyone have this problem

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark5mesa

Reaction score
:? I just got my Mark V a few weeks back and I'm lovin it.. This week I got a little freaked out when I turned the head on and heard all this clicking going on. At first I thought it was an electrical discharge and I had a tube problem or something.

anyway I found the issue. When I first turn on my amp I look at the foot switch and see all 3 channels lit up. It does not default to my last channel selection when the amp was turned off. The amp seems to be scrolling through all 3 channels and it wont stop until I depress a button on the foot switch.. Anyone hear of this? :?:

It's not scrolling, it defaults to channel one. What you're hearing is the relays in the amp, of which there are quite a few, shifting to their charged positions. You can hear them clicking when you shut it down, too, or when changing modes.

It does default to channel one but when I also turn the amp on all the three channel ligths stay litup untill I push one of the button.

SteveO said:
All three of mine are dark until I hit one.

Same here. The only time all of them light up is if I connect the footswitch after the amp has been turned on.

I'd double check to make sure the footswitch cable is in tight.

SteveO said:
It's not scrolling, it defaults to channel one. What you're hearing is the relays in the amp, of which there are quite a few, shifting to their charged positions. You can hear them clicking when you shut it down, too, or when changing modes.

I understand these relays are clicking as if the amp is trying pick a channel. It will keep making the noise until I choose a channel. I think the amp should default to channel one like you said.
On my amp all 3 channels are lit up when I turn it on.. I know my amp is an updated model but it seems maybe the foot switch is faulty

I had the same thing happen once. When I'd flip the amp off of Stand By, there would be a really fast, loud clicking as if the channels were changing over and over. It would stop once I unplugged the fs cable and plugged it back in. I also find that I have to do this sometimes when the I cannot control the EQ on/off via footswitch. For some reason it stops working until I unplugg and plug back in the fs cable.

All three lights on the fs are on until I select a channel, when I initially turn on the amp. Also, it is always on the clean channel when I first turn it on.

Anyone else expereince this?

mark5mesa said:
SteveO said:

I understand these relays are clicking as if the amp is trying pick a channel. It will keep making the noise until I choose a channel. I think the amp should default to channel one like you said.
On my amp all 3 channels are lit up when I turn it on.. I know my amp is an updated model but it seems maybe the foot switch is faulty

The clicking until you switch a channel isn't normal, there should be a short burst of clicks and then nothing. As was suggested, check the footswitch cable connections, that seems to be the one weak point on these amps.

mark5mesa said:
When I first turn on my amp I look at the foot switch and see all 3 channels lit up.

Mine does the exact same thing as has since day one. It defaults to CH 1 but all three lights are lite up until I step on a CH switch. I don't get any clicking noises though.

ixoye777 said:
mark5mesa said:
When I first turn on my amp I look at the foot switch and see all 3 channels lit up.

Mine does the exact same thing as has since day one. It defaults to CH 1 but all three lights are lite up until I step on a CH switch. I don't get any clicking noises though.

+1 on the lights
I don't remember ever hearing the clicking noises.

Latest posts

Back