Floyd Rose upgrades

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOEY B.

Reaction score
Anybody here have any experience with these parts? I'm looking at the brass big block, spring claw, tremelo stop, and coated springs. http://www.floydupgrades.com/catalog/index.php

I don't have any FR guitars, but the blocks (brass and titanium) were just reviewed in Guitar World and they said they loved them. Just about ever top guitarist with a FR uses their stuff as well.

I'm looking to fatten up the mids and smooth out the hghs on my Jackson SL1. There seems to be a band of midrange frequencies that are "missing" from this guitar. I have an Anderson Hollow Cobra with a chambered body, bolt-on neck and vintage output humbuckers that sounds thicker than the FR equipped Jackson. The Anderson is a string-thru body like a Telecaster, I understand the point of contact issue, but dammit man. :evil:

The brass block alone will have the most significant effect on your guitar. I have a 42mm installed on my Strat and EVH. The sustain is absolutely incredible and the mids are much fuller. Be advised that they sound the best when the Floyd is sitting on the deck and not free floating because everything it touching and can transfer vibration energy between all parts more efficiently IMHO. The claw and Trem stop will add mass but to a lesser degree. Remember: Mass = Sustain. I'm yet to notice squeaky tremolo springs when using my Floyd so I'd pass on those. Installing the block is an undertaking because you have to completely strip the Floyd down to reach the mounting screws. Be sure to measure the body cavity because you may need to get a 37mm block in case your cavity runs shallow. Also check how much swing room you have so the block can be fully engaged when using the tremolo. Finally, make sure you are buying the right block for the tremolo because original Floyd Rose, Gotoh and Jackson have all different mounting screw spreads. You won't be sorry!

Did you go with bell brass or titanium? I'd be interested if anyone can comment on this. I have bell brass and love it.

Moander said:
Well...??

:)

Curious, thats all :)

I think that the upgrades gave the guitar a more solid bass response. The midrange that I was hoping for is still not there, yet. I took out the EMG afterburner, replaced it with a second tone control. I also was able to swap out the Alternative 8 pickup and put the Screamin' Demon back in. I'm still in the "dialing it in" stages. Short answer is that I was able to undo some of the extra output fixes that I had been using. That in itself lets the true tone of the guitar shine through. Long answer: It still did not fatten up the midrange to the point that I like it, and I may just have to accept the fact that it will never sound as good as my Les Paul.

Some pickups are definitely better for mids.....some not so good......

PAF Pro, Fred, I think the Joe... just a few examples of fattened mids pickups...

Maybe some research??

JOEY B. said:
Phase 2: The EMG SPC Strat presence control.
http://www.emgpickups.com/content/wiringdiagrams/EMG-SPC-RPC-EXG.pdf
http://www.emgpickups.com/products/index/131/144/4

SLAM DUNK !!!!!!!!! Now the floating tremelo guitar has the full midrange sound of a hardtail.

Latest posts

Back