Floyd Rose tremolo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylor414rce2003

Reaction score
I want one, with EVH drop d tuna !!!! is this something I can install myself on a strat ,or should it be left to a guitar tech.

if you are not afraid that your git looks a bit like eddies good ole frankenstein strat - no prob

i tarted this in the eighties with an old squier body also by myself and it worked out quite well. you need to make the body hole a bit wider and some adjustments to the neck junction with spacers.

the neck bolt on is not really recommended, get this locking tuners, will not effect the sustainability of the axe so much.

also should decide if you want to bend the strings up and down or only down. only down makes the whole thing a lot more staying in tune.

good luck, and don't be afraid! the first hole always hurts ;-)

read some floyd rose instructions yikes ,Can anybody recomend a guitar tech in the Boston area ? How does the direction of bending the strings affect staying in tune?

sorry, been a few times to boston but not to a guitar tech.

if the fr works in both directions up and down bending its "floating" between the tension of the strings and the springs in the back. means you also have to adjust the spring power to the string strength you are using. and its staying higher over the body to let it move. unless you cut the wood so deep that it fits in. have a look at the ibanez jem section, its very good to see at this guitars

if you "only" want to bend down (like eddie vh) you just need very small cuttings to make it fit into the existing body hole. the backside can rest on the body, so no floating adjustments needed.

by the way, before placing the two screws where the fr rests on, check the measure between nut and bridge to have enough space to move the small bridges.

still afraid of cutting the wood?

I like to bend up more than down, yes I am nervous about drilling my strat ,so I think I will find a tech .or buy a bunch of junk guitars and and drill away !!!!! :D 8)

check with some places like stewmac.com or other luthier supply sites, most of them sell floyd rose routing jigs and if you traced out the part and cut it out for the D-tuna that might work for you, I know they also make and sell a few other jig blanks so you can make your own. I'd try a jig and modifying it and testing it on a peice of wood or something else.

i've got a 92 FR strat that i added a d-tuna to. there's a hard way and an easy way to get this done, if i were adding one to my other non-fr strat, first thing i'd do is buy a new neck for it so i don't have to route out at the nut. mine isn't recessed into the body but tightening it to rest on the body puts a back-angle on it, it should be parallel with the body. i installed a tremolo-no, but as soon as i get the ambition, i'm getting rid of it and just blocking the trem. there are some templates available online and a couple (only a couple though) of good sites with info. if the posts are not the same spacing as your existing trem, fill in the holes with hardwood dowels and glue, let cure, and re-drill for the new ones. all this is if you brave, probably cheaper to either pick up a FR strat, or have a tech do it for you. I had to buy one since there aren't any techs where i live. good luck.

Latest posts

Back