First time poster, '79 Boogie question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BluesForDan

Reaction score
not a stranger to forum in general, first time here though. I came seeking info about pre-1980 Boogies.

The piece I'm looking at is supposedly a '79 special order. It does not have the graphic EQ, nor does it appear to have the pull-boost pots. It has a grey frame JBL speaker, model unknown at this time. From what I understood, the fx loop was added and is not factory original.

It sounds astondishingly good. No offense to Boogie fans, I'm just not big on how they sounded since the '80s. It may well be the JBL, instead of a Celestion speaker. I played my stock '04 relic strat through it, and has inflicted a major case of GAS upon me.

Any old time Boogie experts who can expound upon what the models being produced around that time? What are the pre-'80s boogies selling for? Black tolex, black grill, very clean, meticulously maintained, one owner.

thanks in advance,

Dan

I know there's Boogie experts than I am but I'll take a stab at it.

The gray frame JBL maybe a K120 or D120f, an o-kay speaker, better use for 'country cleans' (in my opinion).

'79, I'm guessing its a Mark I since you claimed the fx loop was added.

Not sure of the value or what's the market value of these now-a-days. :?

Hmm, I have a 1979 Mark IIB 60w head with stock effect loop, what does yours say on the back? Here's a photo of the front, it also has pull pots and no EQ:

mesaboogie.jpg

You could try to find out the current value of an old Mark I by searching through old ebay auctions (if you have an account there).

I looked at it again yesterday, different sales guy said it was a Mk II+, and there was a 'manual' with it sayying "congrats on buying a Mk II, etc". The fx loop appears to be factory, but added as special order, rather than stock, there was an additional 'manual' regarding fx loop operation. I didn't find a serial number. It does have the pull pots. No markings by the power cord.

In searching, I'm seeing a lot of Mk II nomemclature, MkII, MkII C+, MkII C-, MkIIb. What do they all mean?

They're asking 1199 for it, could get it on sale this weekend for 1080.

I think it will be either a IIB or a mark I. It is definatly not a IIC+ because it has no markings above the power chord...

Back