First test with 2ch DR

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clutch71

Reaction score
Couple of clips from the 2 ch Dual I picked up. Note I added the blue jewel! I'm only pushing the 4x12. loop is active. Loop Active Master and Master are around 9:30.

I think it's got a nice bite. Not sold on the tubes just yet. They sound a little harsh to me.

Couple of different Tool songs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoH-EVC-n5A

Distorted parts of Sober - Duffed the solo but hey I'm a garage player!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOVQgGDox_8

My Apologies to Adam Jones as I just started working on Jambi. Should have left it out.

Let me know what you think.

About to buy a Mesa Boogie DR.

The best value I can find is a 2002 Three Channel with brand new tubes for the same price as some old *** Two Channels who need their tubes replaced.

Can I get the TOOL tone with a three channel or do I have to buy a two channel?

3ch started my quest into Mesa. I didn't even know Adam played Duals. He also uses Marshalls and Diezels. My brother saw them recently and all he could see was the Diezel. 4600 bucks minimum and harder to come by than a Mesa. I personally feel that the older 2 channels are a little "tighter" (by recto standards), a little more compressed.

I thought the clips I posted were pretty decent for Tools tone. I was pleased with it, and that's the important thing.

Did you like the clips? If you click on some of my other clips (dwq1971 on Youtube) you'll notice using an older ROV. I know the audio is not the best but IMO a 3 ch is not going to stay as compressed for some of Tools newer stuff od 10000 Days.

Tube selection is very important too. Sovteks came w/ the 2ch I just picked up, I'm not sold on them just yet. That's kind of why I posted the clips.

Make the drive. Get to know the guys at the Mesa dealer. If they get any used gear in, tell them what you are interested in and have them call you if they get hold of an old two channel. I've learned to be patient with Mesa gear. TIn six months I still have not located a MArk III, IV or Roadster to sit down with.

I travel a lot so I'm fortunate in that I've tried a lot of things. Watch Craigslist too. You have Sante Fe and Albequerque that are farley large cities.

Best of luck.

I'm digging the sounds man! and the riffs are sweet too. If you're looking for a bit more warmth and smoothness, the str420's will give that to you. I don't like 440's that much. To me they are "just another tube." They sound good, but nothing too unique about them.

You're cranking it pretty loud btw. I wish I had a garage!

P.S. the blue light is very nice!

For a Dual it's not very loud! It is the loudest I've pushed it since I got it. No wife, no kids that day, sorry neighbors! I can't wait until tomorrow where I can crank it in w/ the 4x12 and the 2x12.

I plan on recording that too to compare against the ROV clips.

Latest posts

Back