First Night Out With The New Mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dantana

Reaction score
My new Mark IV arrived earlier this week and I had a chance to work it in w the rest of my gear. Got useable tones for each channel and set levels to match. I've been playing around with a few cabinets and settled on a 2x12 half open for the shows this weekend. This may not be a good match.

While overall the tones were very good, and playing was a treat, the tones of R2 and the Lead channels were very heavy in the upper mids and seemed to lack the "Balls" required for some of the heavier material (Sabbath, Soundgarden, etc). I ended up using the graphic eq to boost the lows and low mids but that wasn't my plan going in. I'll throw the back on the cab tonight and see if that doesn't help bring the "Thump" back.

Anyone else find the Mark IV lacking in lows and low mids w/o using the geq? I hope it's just a cab mismatch (although my Rivera M100 sounded very good w this cab). Admittedly, I've only got @ 8 hours on the amp (including last night) so I know I'll be tweaking for some time. I sure hope I'll be able to find a "rounder", more balanced tone.

Looking forward to hearing back from the rest of you Mark IV players!

Dan
www.undertheradarband.com

I much prefer the Mark IV with a closed back 2x12... I get huge amounts of thump and bass out of mine even without the GEQ.. didn't like the combo version with the open back in comparison.

Closed back is definitely the way to go with the Mark IV, or add a closed back cab to the rig to add the lower end you are missing...

The lead channel without the GEQ has more mids than with the GEQ so I don't know how you set it up...

fpoon said:
The lead channel without the GEQ has more mids than with the GEQ so I don't know how you set it up...

Exactly! Wow fpoon you are so awesome!

I never play my MarkIV without the EQ, the sound is not for me, the EQ is always on , it's the sound i like !

Put the back on the 2x12 for last night's show and it did make a big difference. I've still got some tweaking to do but I was much happier with the low end and the upper mids settled down nicely. This thing really cuts through and that's probably what makes it seem so loud. I really have to watch my volume and played around all night with various combinations of power amp settings.

Next step is to get the stereo thing happening. Anyone using a non-Mesa power amp w the Mark IV in a stereo rig? I mentiond in an earlier post that I'm having trouble getting the levels to match using either the satellite send of straight from the FX unit. The level that is right for the Mark IV is way too low for either of my power amps. I'd rather not have to haul a combo around so I need to figure out a rackable soution (I'm looking for a 2:90 currently). Any input is welcome.

Dan
www.undertheradarband.com

Latest posts

Back