First impressions of my mark III

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fome

Reaction score
So I've recently bought an '86 black stripe Mark III, and I'm loving in. The spring tank needs to be replaced (says my tech), but I'm using a Line 6 verbzilla in the effects loop, and it sounds fine. I've been spending some time messing with the controls, and I have a few early observations.

This thing is LOUD! I can't imagine ever turning it past 3.

The volume 1 knob seems very important in determining the style of tone. It seems to me that it doesn't just effect loudness and gain, but also attack and sustain. From 1-4, it seems suitable for blues tones, 5-7 for classic rock tones, and 8-10 for metally tones.

The presence knob is sick. I had it high at first, but I found the gain too crushing and harsh. I have it at 2 right now, then I increased the volume 1 and lead drive to compensate for the gain. Ooooh, smooth and full distortion heaven.

It's a little hard for me to dial in the right clean tone when the controls are shared with the lead. Is there any way to have great cleans but also heavy leads?

The 5 band eq is pretty nice. It's like having an extra channel. I thought at first that a defined V would make the high frequencies too harsh, but a reduced presence makes it clear but not overwhelming.

Hmmm, it's hard for me to change the volume without modifying the tone. I'm still learning how to compensate for this when I change the master from 2 to 3. Any advice here would be appreciated.

Anyone have tips for a noobie?

Congrats on your MKIII! I have a MKIII blue stripe with EQ and nonreverb. I love it! I also have a verbzilla but prefer my Peavey Valverb. Also in the mix is a Line6 EchoPark and a Scott's Crispy Cream Treblebooster. They have lots of gain and with the Treblebooster it's all out metal! Mine is a 60 watter and is very loud. I had a Tom Scholz Power Soak so I could get the amp volume up without blowing away my landlord but it sounds great at bedroom levels so I took out the PowerSoak. It is difficult getting a really nice clean without a little sacrifice. Two of my guitars have built in preamps and with the preamp engaged on the guitar in the amps clean channel it sounds really sweet. Other than that the clean channel is okay with my lead channel dialed in. I've been thinking of getting another MKIII for cleans. But if I did that I might as well get a different amp altogether that has a good clean and lead to add more tones. Like maybe a Lonestar? I've wondered how a Maverick's cleans would sound using the EL84's? Anyways, the MKIII's grind and gain are worth it. Until I get a second Boogie my current MKIII's clean will do just fine.

Back