Finally pulling the trigger....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
esizer said:
I play in standard and half step down, with respective "drops" as well. occasionally a full step down a la Chevelle. More tubes = more expense and more things to go wrong. I'd rather get that earlier tone, but we'll see. I found a 1996 dual recto, is a newer something to look for or would a 96 be a good option?

'96 is good.

Congrats! I think you'll have FUN with that!

As far as loudness,
the Dual and Triple really aren't different loudnesses, at least not running up near full volume. The biggest difference I notice from the Single, to a Dual, and to a Triple is where the sweet spot hits. If we pick a fairly low volume -quiet drummer and anal soundman- and set all the amps to the same level, the single is going to sound the most *open* and saturated, the Dual will be a bit more buzzy, and the triple will the most brittle and buzzy sounding out of the lot of them. As you move the volume up a hair, the Dual then 'opens up' while the Triple is still more buzzy. It is only when you get to moderately loud that the triple finally opens up. The ADVANTAGE of the triple is that with the clean tone, the Triple will still be super percussive and squeaky clean while the single's clean will be starting to break up. Additionally, the triple is tight and SUPER thumpy.

I have personally tried every possible way to neuter my amp because I was always dealing with TURN IT DOWN. It was running with two speakers with EL-84s / yellow jackets tonight. So, think a 15watt amp through a 50watt cab. Basically, with this setup, when I hit the 'sweet spot' of the amp, I am all but getting eaten alive by the drummer. I could barely hear myself, BUT these levels are simply necessary for some of the places I play. My logic here was to keep things as quiet as possible. The levels were so low that I was able to sing UNMIC'D over everything! My setup will allow me to run 15 - 50watts (A Duet EL-84s and a duet of EL-34s) with my 50watt cab. I can run the EL-84s with one speaker if necessary. This is if I want roaring tube sound at a whisper. I am about to start building a closeback oversized 120watt 2 x 12 to run with the Dual at 100watts with a Quarter of EL-34s or 6L6s. This will be for moderately loud gigs. For the SUPER loud ones, I'll run the 120watt cab with a mismatch to the 50watt one to run a halfstack sized setup. The other advantage with my setup is that each combination has a very distinct tone. The EL-84s give a much more vintage rock vibe while the EL-34s give an aggressive midrange bark which makes for a nice round midrange tone a la Green Day. When I complete the new 2 x 12, it will be darker and tighter, capable of handling rock ----> TEH BRUTALZ OLOLOL!!! It will have a v30 and c90, which will work great for clean and lead playing as well as rhythm. I'll most likely run this with a premium quartet of 6L6s for a really modern tone.

Latest posts

Back