Finally, I have my triaxis effects loop back

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disassembled

Reaction score
Well everyone, after a week of waiting for parts my new LDRs arrived today and were installed. The FX loop now works!! Yay, I can now sleep again, j/k. Next order of business is to do the Fatboy mod of changing the op amp for the effects loop. I bought several kinds of opamps (burr brown 1234, 4558, etc) so there's lots of room to experiment. After I get a rack power conditioner I will replace the power cords with ones that are cut to length. My last order of business will be to add a switchable deep mod to the 20/20 power as it on 100% of the time now.

Rayder said:
i thought the opamp was used for the dynamic voice....

IC3 in the triaxis is for the dynamic voice and the effects loop. The signal goes from V3 to the opamp then to V5 so IC3 is always in the signal path. The change makes the feel of the pre much smoother. I am going to buy a different Burr Brown chip to see if it sounds even better. Although, I enjoy the change I do not recommend the average user to make this change. A tube change would warrant similar results namely with a lower gain tube in V3.

fatboy135 said:
oops I forget, my favorite IC are the bb opa 2134 and the ne5532, they are very good for the triaxis purposes
\

I meant to say the 2134 but I was a bit tired at the time. I like what the BB does for the tone so I don't think I will be going back to the TL072 anytime soon.

I don't mean a newbie to playing...I mean a newbie to checking out op-amps.
Burr Browns are a popular add on for the Sytek preamps in that it provides a little silky high end and "warmth" on the channel. I need to figure out what is used on the clean channel.

My skills are decent....

Check out "Sigh's to Heaven" @

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=307490

Peace
conga

congalocke said:
I don't mean a newbie to playing...I mean a newbie to checking out op-amps.
Burr Browns are a popular add on for the Sytek preamps in that it provides a little silky high end and "warmth" on the channel. I need to figure out what is used on the clean channel.

My skills are decent....

Check out "Sigh's to Heaven" @

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=307490

Peace
conga

The opamp was previously mentioned in the thread. If you don't have a background in electronics please don't even think about messing with your TA. This isn't like changing tubes you actually have to desolder the original IC and add a socket in it's place.

Sorry to be so harsh earlier but you're better off leaving your TA alone or finding a tech that will guarantee their work.

disassembled,

I plan on having some work done so I'll just pay to have it upgraded. Thanks for the response. I'll check around here for opinions on different opamps.

Peace
conga

So I just added two DIP sockets on my Triaxis to accept some new op-amps (IC1 and IC3). I have verified that it is still operational with the TL072's that I pulled out.

Before I buy the replacement op-amps, I was just curious to see what you (specifically disassembled and fatboy) have found as your favorite replacements.

I also must say that as I had the TX apart on my bench I was a bit sad to find that there are about 6 or so TL072's (12 op-amps) in my baby. :shock: What is the deal with that. Per the schematics I've been able to find, there should be only two for the dynamic voice, and two for the recording outputs. That's a total of 4 op amp's (2 DIPs) What are the others used for and where are they in the circuit.

Also does any body have a known good schematic and/or a service/calibration manual or the like?

Many thanks. What a great forum. I've already learned a lot by reading a bunch of posts.

Erik

So I was going through mouser and I found a TLE2082CP Dual op-amp. Anyone have experience with it? It's performance (per op-amp) is close to the OPA627AP that I found to be a large improvement over an NE5534 in a presonus Eureka Channel strip. (these are both single op-amps in a DIP-8 package but the specs per op-amp are what I'm talking about).

The NE5534 seems to be an improvement over the TL072, but the OPA627 was a large improvement over the NE5534. (similar in spec to the NE5532, offered as an upgrade to the TL072)

While the OPA627AP op-amp does not seem to be available in a Dual DIP package, (unless I missed it which is entirely possible...) It seems like the TLE2082CP would offer much higher performance than either the TL072 or the NE5532.

The OPA627 is also alsmost 20 bucks per op-amp whereas the TLE2082 dual is around 2.50 for very comparable performance.

Any thoughts?
Erik

I use the Burr Brown OPA2134 as does Gordo (Fatboy) I believe. I haven't really looked at the schematic for the TA in a while so I don't know if the other Opamps are in the signal path or not.

I suggest buying a few opamps (the cheap ones not the expensive ones) and compare them. The 2134 has been in my TA since I did the mod and it sounds good to me but there are so many variations out there it would be hard to name them off the top of my head.

I just tore into my Roland VS1824 and pulled out the 5532's to replace them with 2134's and I think there is an improvement over stock(more so with noise than with tone but still an improvement is an improvement). I also replaced the SMD opamps with 2134's as well. I don't suggest going with 5532's as it is a 20 year old design VS the BB 2134 from the 90's.

Greg

A second vote for the NE5534. These are one of the industry workhorses for audio applications. I have built a number of effects with them, and they sound very transparent and clean. You should be able to get them for under $1.50 in onesies and twosies.

well ok the fever of the opamps is extending, well first of all I would like that all the people that is thinking to do some opamps substitutions read this thread before
http://www.forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=11509
well since 5 years ago I started in electronics world my experience saids to me that opamps are one of the most critical elements on a design. You could get a dip socket, you could substitute the opamp with another similar or equivalent opamp and all your design could totally colapse, noises, oscillates, and a few other nasty issues.
in my first year of studies i learn the ideal opamp, where you don´t need to take care about the real parameters of the opamps, on my second year i studied the real opamp, ohhh ****, that fucking IC are the most inestable that I ever seen, a lot of cares parameters calculations, simulations, trial and error must to do to get the best performance on your circuit.
So please don´t think that replacing an IC is as easy as take one out and substitute for another one, you need to take care and do some measures to know if your IC is totally compatible. So I recomend to get several opamps for example I have 8 different opamps and its datasheets ( if you don´t know how to use the datasheet and the opamp your are as dangerous as a monkey with a gun ) I think theorical which opamp could be ok on my design and then I test it with a lot of measures, and believe it with 5 years of experience I make some mistakes, so for that reason there is not any secret recipe, years of experienced or something else there is only a lot of theory and a lot of measures to do.
So before you replace any opamp think about that **** device and be prepared with some IC and with a few hours to do any mod
Enjoy your triaxis

Latest posts

Back