Finally got the EV 12L BLack Label

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boogiebabies

Reaction score
Fed Ex just dropped it off after a month and a half backorder !!!

Will post my findings after a brutally quick break in courtesy of a
1992 Dual Rectifier in Red mode. Then to the IIC+'s.

Hello,

I thought EV had discontinued that speaker!? Is this a reissue or ? My MKIII combo and extension speakers (1 open back & 2 thieles) are loaded with the EV. Love that sound. BTW, when would you recone an EV? Would you use criteria of time (age), amount of use, or a combination of both factors? Enjoy your new toy!! :D

Fernando

Fernando said:
Hello,

I thought EV had discontinued that speaker!? Is this a reissue or ? My MKIII combo and extension speakers (1 open back & 2 thieles) are loaded with the EV. Love that sound. BTW, when would you recone an EV? Would you use criteria of time (age), amount of use, or a combination of both factors? Enjoy your new toy!! :D

Fernando
It`s a new reissue which Zakk Wylde sports, his name anyways. I believe he still uses the old ones.
Black Label

because i live in a land where mesa are very very pricy..mesa isn't a very sold thing...i bought a brand new Mesa EVL 200watt 1x12 cab from a music shop about 4 months ago..the guy said it was one of the last in the world thats new for sale and it's just been in his shop for years.....it's pretty dam sweet..

Boogiebabies said:
.....Very bright with a ton of bottom end .....

Ha...mine are 20+ years old and I think that describes them perfect. They only warm up when played at ridicules volumes. Still they are great for that scooped heavy pounding sound. :wink:

Cool, thanks for the info!! Anyone willing to reply on the recone question? Thanks again!!

Fernando said:
Hello, when would you recone an EV? Would you use criteria of time (age), amount of use, or a combination of both factors? Fernando
If it ain't broke don't fix it. Why would you recone it unless it's blown? That IMO is the only criteria.

ZW said in the last GW that EV is making him a 200 watt 12L.

This thing came in a black EV box with ZW's name on it. It was covered in a Black Label / EV bandanna. It was cool as hell. It made me want to get on my Harley and hit the road all badass. Then I remembered, I dont have a Harley.

Sad, but true. I'm still waiting to load it into a Theile an pummel the life into it. I got tied up with a Matchless Pheonix 35 and could not turn it off. The clean channel alone will make you want to play for hours.

More later... I hope.... As long as Kill Bill Vol. 2 is not on I'll be good.
I just have to watch the restaurant scene every time. **** than Hattori Honzo.

I remember when Matchless debuted. I was floored. I heard the newer units don't have the insane tone the originals had. I still want one of the old ones.

You'll have to let me know what that EV sounds like in the Thiele because I want to get either a Thiele or an old 2x12 vertical. In the 2x12 vertical I would put the EV in it if it would sound good.

The new Matchless amps are identical to the old ones. Even down to the handwound paper bobbin transformers. If you compare it to a 1993 you could not tell the difference other than the power tubes give it a different flavor than 4 EL-84's. It's the same design as the SC-30 with EL-34's.

Was there a period inbetween that was horrible? I had heard that their amps had really gone downhill. I really did like the ones I played in 93-94.

Russ said:
Was there a period inbetween that was horrible? I had heard that their amps had really gone downhill. I really did like the ones I played in 93-94.
Well the story behind your statement, co-founder Mark Samson left Matchless. Supposedly a millionaire bought into Matchless and wanted to produce as much Matchless amps as much as there is demand. And (not sure of this) was thinking of going overseas to have them assembled perhaps make them more affordable, more sales. Higher profit margin because of cheaper labor. (typical of millionaire that does business).

This did not sit well with Mark Samson so he left the company. There was other issues and conflict of interest between this owner that bought into the company and Mark Samson.

I got this information from another bulliten board where Mark Samson posted his fairwell to his fans and was trying to clear up his standing with Matchless.

Anyway, what happened during that period Mark Samson left is anybody's guess. The company did not go overseas and I even think Guitar Player Magazine compared an original DC-30 -vs- a current DC-30, and the original did have a little more mojo than the current .... but then they swap tubes since the original DC30 had NOS tubes. The current DC-30 sound just like the original.

Mark Samson now has his own amp company. Actually he did some design with Bad Cat amps before venture on his own.

We just got over that crap here. It was living hell for everyone for 2 weeks but it ended up more like 6 because everyone had their run.

Latest posts

Back