Faulty quad lead channel

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gausshoss

Reaction score
I have an early quad preamp that seems to work fine, but as it warms up the lead channel gets quieter and quieter. I've replaced the tubes but the probem persists. I even found a cold soldier joint and got excited but that was'nt it either. Is it a dried up cap? Please help! -Matt

My whole 2nd channel appears to be dead. :( I can get some sound from it, but not much. It's definitely not what it used to be. I thought it'd be a dead preamp tube, but that wasn't it. :(

Sounds like it could be a candidate for a recap. I recently had a similar experience with my CP preamp where the same thing happened, gain/volume loss after about a minute and the likely cause is a bad cap on the first gain stage. I just haven't had a chance to change it out yet.

MJ

I'd go over the whole amp with a magnifying glass. If it's a heat issue, it's very possible you've got another cold solder joint in there somewhere. It also might be a relay that starts to open up as it gets warm.

If it sounds fine when first on and gradually gets lower.....I'm thinking it's not that serious but that being said, it might be a real pain to find if you don't have something like a scope to track the signal through the amp.....where it stops is where the problem is.

BT

Latest posts

Back