Faulty channel footswitch (?) on my Studio 22+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danavenell

Reaction score
Hi, hope someone can point me in the right direction: I was playing through the clean (rhythm) channel on my Studio 22+ earlier today, when I took a short break, leaving the amp on the clean channel.

Came back a few minutes later, and noticed the red LED was off on the footswitch, and that it had switched to the lead channel. "Hmm, strange" I thought. I stepped on the footswitch to change it back to rhythm, and...nothing. Stayed on the lead channel.

I unplugged the lead from the footswitch, then put it back in - the red LED came on briefly, accompanied by the noise from the amp changing, then it faded. The switch is now completely ineffective.

Now, if I unplug the footswitch from the amp, it switches back to the rhythm channel, and switches to lead again if I plug it back in. So, I can still switch channels by plugging in/un-plugging the footswitch, but not by the normal method of operating the footswitch.

Am I correct in thinking that it's probably the switch at fault (as opposed to a circuit in the amp) as it's still possible to change channels by using the above method?

If so, is it likely to be repairable or am I probably looking at a new footswitch? And if so does it have to be a Mesa Boogie one?

Cheers!

If it's the footswitch, it's repairable, cheaply - there are only two components in the footswitch, the switch itself and the LED and it will only be one of them. But it could still be the cable, if it's shorted.

The easiest way to tell for certain which is to plug the cable into the footswitch jack on the amp but not into the footswitch, then take the loose end and touch the tip of it to the barrel of the end that's in the amp; if the channel switches as you touch and un-touch the tip - obviously no LED to tell you, so you'll have to listen for it - then the fault is in the footswitch. If it doesn't, it's the cable.

Latest posts

Back