F-50

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wontonefooie

Reaction score
just bought one (F-50) ,havnt had the time to play it much yet ,was wondering if anyone else here has one ,and what does everyone think about this amp. I found it much warmer than the rectoverb .when i played the 2 side by side . loved the metal gain from the recto but it just didnt seem to have the same warm tone ,so i will just run some pedals later if i need my head bangin big hair fish net fix :lol:

F-series amps are just outright awsome. They are easier to use (thanks to a relatively simple set up) and yet can cover A LOT of different sounds.
Ive had a single recto for years, and recently picked up an F-100.

To put it in a nutshell Im thinking of selling my recto. I love the agressive distortion it gives me, but Id say the F-series in contour mode definitely gets in that territory. As somebody who plays modern metal / hardcore, I think it says a lot that Im kinda leaning towards the F at this point.

Enjoy your new amp!

Yeah, I'm a new F-50 owner, too. It's my first tube amp. I was actually going in to Guitar Showcase to look at a Peavey Classic 30, based on a recommendation from a friend and Lonestar Special owner. I turned on the Peavey, playing through a Deluxe Strat HSS, and it squealed at me. It was almost scary! As I backed away slowly, I saw the Mesa's and played with a Lone Star Special for a while, but just couldn't part with the cash. Anyway, I saw a consignment F-50 that looked as fresh and new as the new one next to it. It even had the tags still on it, for about $300 less than a brand new one. I played through and was hooked! Great sounding amp! It was only a little more expensive than the Peavey, and it was about a thousand less than the Lone Star. I think that it's a wonderful place to start in the tube amp world, and it's world's apart from the modeling amp wonder that I've been playing through. I'm very pleased. I am playing everything from high gain alternative originals to some country copies. This amp has it all covered quite nicely. It's good to see that we're not alone in our decision to get an F series. As much as I like the sound of the recto's, I think that the F's are a little more versatile, at least for the range of stuff that I'm playing.

Put the F series in contour mode and dial it propperly and it can do all the metal you need. I have a F100 and single Recto, and I honestly just prefer the F.

Brewski said:
Yeah, I'm a new F-50 owner, too. It's my first tube amp. I was actually going in to Guitar Showcase to look at a Peavey Classic 30, based on a recommendation from a friend and Lonestar Special owner. I turned on the Peavey, playing through a Deluxe Strat HSS, and it squealed at me. It was almost scary! As I backed away slowly, I saw the Mesa's and played with a Lone Star Special for a while, but just couldn't part with the cash. Anyway, I saw a consignment F-50 that looked as fresh and new as the new one next to it. It even had the tags still on it, for about $300 less than a brand new one. I played through and was hooked! Great sounding amp! It was only a little more expensive than the Peavey, and it was about a thousand less than the Lone Star. I think that it's a wonderful place to start in the tube amp world, and it's world's apart from the modeling amp wonder that I've been playing through. I'm very pleased. I am playing everything from high gain alternative originals to some country copies. This amp has it all covered quite nicely. It's good to see that we're not alone in our decision to get an F series. As much as I like the sound of the recto's, I think that the F's are a little more versatile, at least for the range of stuff that I'm playing.

Indeed,

an awsome amp! I own one, it is my first tube amp ever.
I highly reccomend this to anyone wanting to buy a tube amp for the first time.

My band will be recording soon at the studio. Cant wait to use it. :D

i have an f 50. im loving it more and more as i continue to tweak and experiment. brutal distortion, yet warm and versatile. the contour mode is a beautiful thing. the clean channel is amazing.
im using a digital delay and an overdrive pedal for a lead boost and im sounding better than i ever have with any other amp/rig.

and i too played my f 50 side by side with a rectoverb and realized the f 50 sounded better. and i spent hours in guitar center on both amps.
:twisted: :twisted:

cliff hetfield said:
i have an f 50. im loving it more and more as i continue to tweak and experiment. brutal distortion, yet warm and versatile. the contour mode is a beautiful thing. the clean channel is amazing.
im using a digital delay and an overdrive pedal for a lead boost and im sounding better than i ever have with any other amp/rig.

and i too played my f 50 side by side with a rectoverb and realized the f 50 sounded better. and i spent hours in guitar center on both amps.

Hey bro...Take the od pedal and max out the volume on the clean channel. An awsome Hot rod deville distortion.

pau_leader said:
cliff hetfield said:

Hey bro...Take the od pedal and max out the volume on the clean channel. An awsome Hot rod deville distortion.
maybe ill try it. but i cant imagine turning it up all the way since ive never needed to put it past 10 o clock.

cliff hetfield said:
pau_leader said:
cliff hetfield said:

maybe ill try it. but i cant imagine turning it up all the way since ive never needed to put it past 10 o clock.

Try it @ 12 It sounds sweeeeeeeeeeeet!

Great thread here.
I'm actually in the prosses of buying an F-50 head for my first tube amp :D...I'm just waiting until one comes up on eBay.

F series is by far my favorite mesa!

Latest posts

Back