F-30 clean channel settings

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MusicManJP6

Reaction score
I've been messing with the clean channel alot and it seems to be hard to get a good clean tone out of it. I think it is partly the humbuckers in my JP, but it is too punchy no matter what I do. I tried a compressor with it and it sounded a little better, but still not purring like I want. Anyone have some settings they want to share? I'm happy with the other channel...

Keep in mind that I am coming from a Roadster, so the cleans are going to be hard to compare in this respect. It may be that they are going to sound like they sound no matter what settings I use... I don't play clean a whole lot so it's not the end of the world if I can't get the clean I am looking for...

Hi Musicmanjp6. I have got the f-30. nice amp btw! :)
well, I think the pickups has a lot to do with your problem. A lot cleaner sounding with single coils. Just wanted to add, if you don't already know this (not mentioned in the manual!), you can pull the gain knob on the clean channel, it's a "bright switch". maybe that can give you the sound you are looking for. But as mentioned, the pickups are hot, not the best combination when you want a very clean sound.
B.r. andershoeg

Oh yeah, I always forget about the pull bright! I'll have to try that out - maybe it will release the punchy sound and let it chime some more without being harsh...

What is this "bright switch"? I have had my F30 for 4 years and never heard of it before.

I have all tone controls at 12:00 on my F-30.
I use a single coils and it sounds fantastic. Very chimey.
I have a humbucker guitar also but it doesn't get used very much.
The single coils sound a lot better thru the F-30.

jamminjc said:
What is this "bright switch"? I have had my F30 for 4 years and never heard of it before.

The GAIN knob on the clean channel can be pulled out for a brighter sound.

It is written on the amps control panel but is hard to see. If you look above the GAIN knob on the clean channel you'll see "Pull Bright".

Be careful. If you're using single coil PUs it could get so bright that you'll poke an eye out.

Pull bright helped out my situation but its still very punchy. I pulled out my old Custom Peavey (HSH pickup config) and it sounded much better in the single coil positions. 12:00 seems to be a good place for the controls for now.

I just ordered some new JJ's preamp tubes per Hobo's recommendation. I can't wait to hear them! I was tempted by the high gain tubes, but I don't want to introduce any noise or microphonics issues. I might buy them just to hear them and resell them if I don't like them some time though. Curiosity usually gets the best of me...

Hobo, thanks for the info. Also MusicManJP6 please post some updates on the jj's when you get them installed.

Hey MusicManJP6
I've had this problem too with the F-30, and the best resolve to my ears was running it through a 4x12 cab. To me its a whole different beast then. I usually do it through my old Mesa stackable slant cab ... sounds like butta!

good luck and thanks for the vids
Mike

MusicManJP6 said:
I've been contemplating adding a thiele cab to the combo - think that might help some?

Mmm...same here! Wish I had the money though. I have a 2x12" 3/4 back Mesa cab. Together with my F30 combo, it definitely gives it a whole new sound. Much fuller and bass'y. But I don't think that a thiele will help you get a much cleaner sound. Still think that single coils is your friend :)
But you will definitely get a very nice sound out of a F30 + Thiele-rig!
B.r. andershoeg

Yeah, before I sold my 3/4 back 1x12 cab I plugged the F-30 up to it and it sounded huge out of it! I think a thiele would add some more bottom end, but like you said, might not help the cleans out any since it's a closed cab...

Man, I just retubed my F-30 with JJ's and the clean channel is PHENOMENAL NOW (and dead quiet - it hissed before)!! I can't believe the difference! The distortion channel is tighter as well (and quiet too). I'm very happy...

I tend to go back & forth on this (things are different at different volumes), and when I lose my way everything goes back to 12:00

Humbuckers:
11:00-12:00 gain
12:00 Treb
10:00 Mid
12:00 Bass
9:00 Reverb
10-12:00 Master

Single coil:
1:00 gain
12:00 Treb
11:30 Mid
12:00-1:00 Bass