F-100 head distortion tone?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rotarywingpilot

Reaction score
how would you describe the tone of Channel 2 w/ Contour on the F-100 head? is it Recto-like? Mark IV-ish? High-gain Marshall w/ 6L6 glass? something totally different?

I'm shopping for a simple 2-channel high-gain head and the F-100 looks good on paper (I downloaded the manual :) ) I like the simplicity of it, but I have no experience with Mesa/Boogie amps. I did just buy a Stiletto straight 4x12 on the spot caused it looked so damned cool. seriously, my old V30-loaded Marshall 1960 was literally falling apart, so I really needed a new cab. I'm betting the Stiletto sounds as good as it looks! built like a Sherman tank, to boot.

I play an ESP Jeff Hanneman sig guitar w/ EMG 81 & 60 pups, and play metal ala Megadeth, Testament, Metallica, Annihilator. my current amp is a Crate Blue Voodoo head....go ahead and laugh. I agree this head is a real turkey! I've tried everything to get a decent tone: new tubes, preamp mods, new tranny...the Blue Voodoo is a Blue Turd and I've wasted my last $$$ on it.

thanks............Mitch

Contour mode on the F series is close to rectifier distortion in my experience.

the F-100 totally smokes, and i think it would be the best thing for you for the style that you play(other than a markIV) it is tighter then the recto, but has that menacing pound. i would check out the F-50 head as well, just cause the clean is soo good on it. makes it worth at least a listen. hal9000 has some bad arse F-100 clips around here somewhere. :twisted:

if the thing had a presence control i'd buy 3 of 'em. :wink:

Back