External Switching Jacks (Recto head)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoGlassNoClass

Reaction score
I understand the intended purpose for these but...
When using the standard footswitch, selecting a channel (or solo or loop) causes the ext sw jack to short tip-to-ground. I verified this with an ohmmeter. My question is, can I connect the switching jacks from one head to another, allowing control of both heads from a single footswitch? In theory it should work, but I wouldnt want to overload the switching relays or cause any other damage. Thanks in advance.

Yes you can.....the whole purpose is to be able to switch using a rack midi switcher, but you can wire up "Y" adapters to switch if you want to.

Although....if you're using two similar heads (like two Triples), you might be better off going with a Master/Slave setup.

Maybe I'm not following you here, but my intention is to use the supplied footswitch connected to one head, with the ext switching jacks of that head connected to the switching jacks of the second head. Dont think the master/slave setup will work for this application, as the fx loops need to function independantly. One head dry, the other w/fx, and I need to accomplish this w/ one stomp, not a bunch of tap-dancing in the space of a 16th note. Maybe midi control is the only way? Or modify the footswitch to have 2 cables?

What you could probably do (I've never done it, so I can say for sure if it'll work) is build/buy a stereo "Y" splitter and run one end into each amps normal footswitch jack.

Okay I see where you're going....However my triple is the 3-ch version. The footswitch cable looks like 7-pin midi. I guess I could solder up a Y cable in that configuration. Not a bad idea. Sometimes its easy to overlook the obvious. Thanks.

what you are trying to do is completely possible. heres the setup:
guitar into ABY box, one side going into the front of one amp and
the other going thru fx and then into the front of the other amp.
or if all of your fx are time based (IE chorus reverb delay) put
them in the fx loop of the second amp (but still split your guitar
signal to both amps with the ABY. now use the external switch
jacks to connect both amplifiers, so one footswitch controlls both amps.
slave out not needed. infact, what steve morse does is very similar (minus the ext switching connecting two amps) using ABY boxes.
signal : gtr-volume pedal-ABY.
A: dry amp
B: volume pedal-fx-wet amp
that way, he can fade in and out his fx with the second volume pedal
and still has a master volume with his first one.
you could also set up stereo this way too, have both amps fx sends go
to what ever stereo effect you choose and have them
return to both amps fx return. once again, one press of the fx loop ftswitch
would activate both fx loops because the ext switch jacks are connected.
the possibilities are endless.

vulture2600 said:
what you are trying to do is completely possible...

once again, one press of the fx loop ftswitch
would activate both fx loops because the ext switch jacks are connected.

+1 That is exactly the setup I have in mind. One amp dry, the other w/FX, and one footswitch to get both amps to channel-switch, solo-boost, etc together.

Latest posts

Back