Express 5:50. More opinions wanted.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Room3

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm interested in the Express 5:50 as possibly being my next amp purchase. I haven't yet got a chance to try one in person, but I'm impressed with sound clips and reviews I've seen.

A little background: I had a MKIIB combo back in '83, but sold it because I started playing bass in a band and neede bass gear. I've owned and played many othe guitar amps over the years, but I've been liking the sounds from the Mesa amps I've tried in the last 10 years (Rectoverb, Blue Angel, F-50) much more than the sounds I remember from the MKIIB.

Anyway, my questions are: 1. is the clean headroom somewhat 'Twin-like'? 2. What tubes to use for a mellow sound (assuming I would want something other than Mesa tubes). 3. How does it play with OD pedals?

I'd be looking at the 1X12 combo.

Hi Room3,

I have had a 5:50 1x12 since Feb 2007, and it continues to impress and inspire me each time I play through it!

My main reason for getting it was the clean channel and I have to say that it does not disappoint! The tone is lovely, and yes there is a lot of headroom. I never have to turn mine up past 10 O'Clock, because even that is too loud for me and my uses, but it does have that Twin-like vibe and as previously mentioned, the headroom is plentiful.

Channel 2 is great for gain/lead tones. It does not get into rectifier-type sounds, but is perfect for blues through hard-rock.

The 5 watt Class A mode is perfect for home use and recording. I only use the 50-watt mode for band rehearsals and gigs!

The tube-driven reverb is beautiful!!!!

The contour options are great; personally I always leave mine on because it just makes the amp sound that much more impressive for its size.

And the size is great! It is a nice compact combo, and is easily transportable. It is 50lb's (give or take) and puts out a huge amount of sound. I have thought about getting an extension cab for mine, but really can't imagine needing more volume and projection than I get with the 1x12!

I use a Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Classic and a TS9 along with a wah and an analog delay. Pedals through the front-end sound great and the FX loop is quiet and transparent too.

Finally, I use mine with an LP Standard and an ES 333. Both sound fantastic through the 5:50...I love my tone!

I hope this helps?

All the best,

Richt

Ditto!
I love my 5:50 1X12. I play in a band that gets pretty LOUD so I use a 1X12 Ext Cab (mesa) and it sounds sweeet. I have used my delay in the loop and in front and I prefer it out front...nuthin' in the loop.
A fantastic Ch1 clean tone... my previous amp was a Twin Reverb and I prefer the Mesa clean tone all the way. I have been using an Xotic BB plus out front and actually prefer that in Ch1 and occasionally in Ch2.

Can't go wrong for the money...that's fo' Sho'!!!

I love mine. I consider the clean channel to have an idealized Twin Reverb tone.
It is, by far, the best surf amp that I've owned (though the Lone Star Special that I played along side it had an even better clean sound).

I prefer the dirty modes more than an OD or distortion pedal.

BTW, I am not a surf guitartist!

i played a mxr gt overdrive through one in a studio a month or two a go.... an amazing amp

Yes, this is an amazing amp, the overall tone is great, you really feel that it is a high-end amp.
I was really astonished when I tried it, everything sounded great and "professional" :)
And the best is that this kind of amp totally respect your guitar tone. A Strat sounds strat and a Gibson sounds Gibson in this amp!!! No compromise!!!
have fun!! :wink:

For those who have had this amp for 7 months or more with regular usage, how has the reliability been? Also, does the pre-amp section stand up well to overdrive and booster pedals?

If money and size are not major factors you should try the Lone Star 'Classic'. The clean tone is unbelievable and, while I've heard ch 2 on the 5:50 has more gain, the LSC has plenty in ch 2 for me (blues/rock/fusion/jazz).

I tried a 5:50 and found that it sounded a bit boxy compared to the LSC and that ch 2 was two noisy for me. Still a fine amp for the prices.

GeoBull said:
I tried a 5:50 and found that it sounded a bit boxy compared to the LSC and that ch 2 was two noisy for me. Still a fine amp for the prices.

I don't know if it's that a 5:50 is boxy, rather the LSC is so **** lush!

Channel 2 is quieter than channel 1 on my 5:50. In fact, I can't tell if it's on when it's set to channel 2. It's the tubes.

Don said:
GeoBull said:

I don't know if it's that a 5:50 is boxy, rather the LSC is so **** lush!

Channel 2 is quieter than channel 1 on my 5:50. In fact, I can't tell if it's on when it's set to channel 2. It's the tubes.

LOL. The Express 5:50 is by no means "boxy".

+1 with the comments from other 5:50 users.
Likewise I don't think there's anything remotely boxy about it. IMHO it's a much better value for money amp than the Lonestars cause it's far more versatile as it has lots more gain on tap. It has Series FX Loop and the clean channel is so great it takes pedals and MFX's extremely well.

Most of the recordings on my Soundclick site were done with my 5:50 mic'ed with an Shure SM57.

Latest posts

Back