Express 5:50 best sounding Boogie I ever played

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamme61

Reaction score
I have owned MKI, MKIV, Recto Single , triple,LSC . I have played Roadstar I,II, stiletto, ace,LSS) and I think the The express is one of the nicest sounding boogies out there. Then factor in the cost and i think it can't be beat. I love the clean (fantastic) and the blues setting. i love what the contour controll can do. I also love how easy it is to dial in. Anyone agree with me :?: :D The cheapest mesa is the best mesa IMHO. :D

I wish you wouldn't beat around the bush ... just tell us how you really feel about the 5:50.

I bought a 5:50 2X12 a couple weeks ago to replace a Twin and over any other clean/crunch amp I tried ... of which there were a lot. At this power level, there was no amp that compared with my ears. I'm sure a LSC sounds great also, but it's just way more than I need to play in my basement. So it probably is the best Mesa amp ... for my needs. Others who need more power or more gain or the Marshall sound will much prefer other Mesas. I think Mesa is going to find a lot of Fender Twin, Super, Super-Sonic, HRDV, etc owners or possible owners looking at, and buying the 5:50.

The 5:50 probably saved my marriage. I have a RKII, but I can't get the sounds out of it at low volume and it weighs about as much as a car.
I bought the 5:50 for portability and the 5 watt setting. It's a great amp for home practice and it's still got enough umph for playing with a drummer.

i love the 5 watt too, it gets the volume down, a lot, but it still keeps all the tone, and it's sweet. My strat sounds even better then my humbucker guitars, but all sound fantastic, through this amp. i've always had problems with dialing in my mesa's. there was always something i couldn't dial in, or out, and after a while, you get frustrated and sell. This amp to me sounds better then my LSC in the Blues setting on chn2. that channel is great for my marshall crunch stuff and the clean on ch1 blows me a way. One thing that would of been great is to be able to footswitch the different modes on each channel, but then again, that might be where mesa starts to lose it's tone. You start putting in masters and solo buttons and switchable efex loop ect and you have to lose something. Sorry I should know better then to go on, it's way to early. Crossing my fingers

18&Life said:
Hey Jamme you have to post some clips to share your happiness with us :wink:
sorry i have no clue how to do that. I would if i knew how. I'd like to post clips with no efects, no reverb, and no fancy playing (I can't play fancy)
I would just crank out the same chords or little riffs in each mode. Hey, sounds like a plan, I'll have to figiure this out. i hope my mesa high lasts, it never does. fingers crossed still

jamme61 said:
sorry i have no clue how to do that. I would if i knew how.

Let me see don't you know how to point a mic to your speaker,plug its cable in your computer and record some clips ?

Well just do it and we'll see the results :wink:

18&Life said:
jamme61 said:
sorry i have no clue how to do that. I would if i knew how.

Let me see don't you know how to point a mic to your speaker,plug its cable in your computer and record some clips ?

Well just do it and we'll see the results :wink:

I really have no clue (I'm not just being lazy, I'm lazy too) but i will try. Still, you'll see nothing, you only hear it, if I can figure it out.

18&Life said:
Hey Jamme you have to post some clips to share your happiness with us :wink:

have you ever been lucky enough to play one? What boogie amp do you have now?

triaxis +2.90.
Since 1995 they are my tone paradise.
I will never change them for anything.
Plus it is programable.
To my tastes I'm in heaven. :twisted:

jamme61 said:
i love the 5 watt too, it gets the volume down, a lot, but it still keeps all the tone, and it's sweet. My strat sounds even better then my humbucker guitars, ...

This is what keeps amazing me ... at 5 watts I can get all that great clean tone that was in the Twin, but I could rarely hear unless I played loud. Not to mention the other modes that weren't even in the Twin. I also can't believe how much this amp loves single coils. It just sings with my American Deluxe V Neck Strat.

wilerty said:
jamme61 said:
i love the 5 watt too, it gets the volume down, a lot, but it still keeps all the tone, and it's sweet. My strat sounds even better then my humbucker guitars, ...

This is what keeps amazing me ... at 5 watts I can get all that great clean tone that was in the Twin, but I could rarely hear unless I played loud. Not to mention the other modes that weren't even in the Twin. I also can't believe how much this amp loves single coils. It just sings with my American Deluxe V Neck Strat.

I hear ya! I know some of these guys here are getting a kick out of my excitement, over this amp, screw it! I can't help myself. these tones were not in my MKIV or LSC no way. this amp is just sweet. I was just messing around with the 5 watt mode and I couldn't stop playing it. fantastic! I can't wait to try this with my band. I also tried it through my 2x12 and 4x10 cab. It sounded great in both but best in the 2x12. The best thing was when I went back to the stk 1x12 mesa combo and it still kicked ***. It doesn't sound boxy at all. I'm running the contour control only at 9 o'clock and it really makes the combo sound even bigger, nice!

I found this if you haven't seen it yet. demo
http://youtube.com/watch?v=0dsVabcDj0g

awful test.
This guy don't know how to play nothing. :cry:
Tones are terrible and what about the heavier tones,where are they ? :evil:
Humm I think I'm still curious about this amp :(

18&Life said:
awful test.
This guy don't know how to play nothing. :cry:
Tones are terrible and what about the heavier tones,where are they ? :evil:
Humm I think I'm still curious about this amp :(

Do you have any store by you to check out the amp? The amp dosen't do the real heavy mesa sounds (like the recto sounds)

CudBucket said:
Count me in. I played a 5:50 2x12 recently and really loved it.

is it really heavy? I was thinking of bringing back the 1x12 for the 2x12 but i'm afraid of the weight. The 1x12 sounds great and i think would cut it live in my band, but 2x12's always sound better IMHO. Does it come with casters?

jamme61 said:
CudBucket said:
Count me in. I played a 5:50 2x12 recently and really loved it.

is it really heavy? I was thinking of bringing back the 1x12 for the 2x12 but i'm afraid of the weight. The 1x12 sounds great and i think would cut it live in my band, but 2x12's always sound better IMHO. Does it come with casters?

I didn't move it but I assume it's a bit heavy. The one I played had no casters but can't you get any Mesa with casters?

If I remember correctly, the 2x12 has casters. I have the 1x12 and it doesn't have casters. Great amp, btw. I've had mine since Feb and the thing is just sweet! I had a gig last week and ran it in 50 watt mode...had a little weekend almost-acoustic jam and had it in 5 watt mode...the flexibility is just great. I do agree though, that it doesn't get the bone-crushing recto tones, but IMO you can always get a pedal for that!

Enjoy!

Richt :D

Latest posts

Back