Express 5:25-sounds better at low volume

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

espresso

Reaction score
So I love the Express 5:25 at low volume, especially in the 5W mode but like it less and less as the volume goes up in 25W mode. As the volume increases the tone becomes more and more stiff/sterile. I've tried rebalancing the EQ but without much improvement. I've had the amp for a year so am over the learning curve.
I'm curious to know what others think about volume and tonal quality regardless of amp used.

Dan

The first time I cranked my 5:25 I was surprised by how much the tone changed, too. I solved it to my satisfaction with more tweaking -- I don't get to open up the amp very often, so I'm afraid that I don't recall exactly what I did!

Well it seems not the case here and more over in push pull. Higher the volume, bigger wider and jumpier is the sound. Have you tried to swap the power tubes?

rwil said:
Well it seems not the case here and more over in push pull. Higher the volume, bigger wider and jumpier is the sound. Have you tried to swap the power tubes?

I find the same, maybe I just don't like that. In 5W mode the sound is great at any volume. I think I need to listen to other amps.

Thanls for you responses.

Dan

espresso said:
rwil said:

I find the same, maybe I just don't like that. In 5W mode the sound is great at any volume. I think I need to listen to other amps.

Thanls for you responses.

Dan

Well 5W is class A single-ended while 30W is push-pull + dyna-watt. Harmonic content is not the same from each mode. 5W is really smooth and rich indeed!

[/quote]

Well 5W is class A single-ended while 30W is push-pull + dyna-watt. Harmonic content is not the same from each mode. 5W is really smooth and rich indeed![/quote]

Here is something else I don't understand. I do like the tone in 30W when the gain is down to 9:00 or so but then I can't get enough volume for jamming. Wouldn't it make more sense if the amp produced 30W like it's supposed to regardless of the gain? What drew me to the 5:25 was the tone (I didn't crank it in the store), two wattage settings, and small size. As I've mentioned, I don't like the way the tone changes at jamming level. Who plays these amps? I have to admit that I like 50s 60s blues and 60s early 70s rock.

This 'phenomenon' is why I sold my F-30 - plain and simple. I loved the tone when the volume was down, but just COULD not get a good tone (to my ears) when I turned it up. It was the weirdest thing. I think I just don't get along with EL84s. I'm a apparently a 6L6 guy (hence the switch to the RoV)...

espresso said:
... What drew me to the 5:25 was the tone (I didn't crank it in the store), two wattage settings, and small size. As I've mentioned, I don't like the way the tone changes at jamming level. Who plays these amps? I have to admit that I like 50s 60s blues and 60s early 70s rock.

You may have to look at the 12" maybe?

How long have you had it? It took six months are so of repeatedly cranking my F-50 until it started to sound really good when turned up. Although different beasts, I would imagine most new amps need time for the speaker to break in and the tubes to really start singing.

tpowell said:
How long have you had it? It took six months are so of repeatedly cranking my F-50 until it started to sound really good when turned up. Although different beasts, I would imagine most new amps need time for the speaker to break in and the tubes to really start singing.

I've had it for nearly a year but rarely play it above 10:00 in 25W setting.

Tried a Marshall 1974X the other day and will sell the 5:25 for a used 1974x.

Latest posts

Back