Express 5:25 sound

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nubbs

Reaction score
Hi all,

Yesterday I played in a band with a complete drum kit, piano, bass. acoustic and three vocalists.
I use a Taylor Classic Solidbody with the mini humbuckers.

Normally I would set the amp in the Class A mode with the green channel on the clean and the red on aggressive overdrive channel. For this gig I went with running it full on. For a number of tunes I used the green channel for soft stemming and solos, but for one of the tunes I used both the green and the red channel for a gained lead solo. For me this worked great with no pedals and I only used the volume on my Taylor.

I have the red channel set just a little bit louder to cut through the mix and boy did it sound and sustain great. I finally felt truly in the groove and could make the lead sing. The really surprising part was the fact that I cut some of the bass out and brought the contour to 10 o'clock. It was smooth, with a bite and still sustained when a note was bent and attacked.

I got more compliments than ever and people said the band should record. Now from my perspective that was just the best thing anyone could say. I recently changed all my tubes to a matched set of Mesa's and honestly it made a wonderful difference. Oh yea, I changed to a set of Slinky Titanium coated 10's and I am impressed with their sound.

Regards,

Nubbs.

Guitars are like girls....you can't have to many....!

Congratulations on finding your sound. I've told guitarists for years in order to play a good lead you need to cut bass and concentrate on mid range. I hear the "not enough bass in an amp" comment alot, but the bass player does the bass and the lead player cuts through with the mid-range frequencies.

Latest posts

Back