Express 5:25 ... help on 60s-70s type overdrive

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim99

Reaction score
As a noob user I'm having trouble getting that 60s-70s overdrive sound especially on the B and E strings. The sound I'm trying to get is like the outro in the original recording of Hotel California.

The E and B strings want to stay clean until there is quite a bit of breakup. They just don't seem to go through that mild overdrive stage before they break up.

I've tried a bunch of settings on all four channels but it's strictly hit and miss for me.

Also have tried different volume/tone settings from 2-10 on a Les Paul standard.

Plugging straight in. No pedals are being used.

The store where I bought the Express is recommending the Tubescreamer reissue pedal to get that mild overdrive sound.

HELP!!! This is driving me nuts. (Though I've been told I'm already there.)

If you're trying to nail any specific tone from any song you need to look at exactly what was used to produce that sound. So what guitars, amps & pedals did the 2 Eagles guitarists use. String gauges also make quite a difference. Research that and also look at DVD's of Eagles concerts. I've got "Hell Freezes Over" but can't remember what Joe and co are using on HC. It won't be Mesa's though, and probably not a Les Paul either, so you've probably got no chance with any Mesa amp without using the right pedal and guitar.

Thanks!! I was struggling wondering where I had gone wrong.

Not really trying to nail a specific tone just trying for something that gives a bit of overdrive on the B and E strings ... sort of the late 60s and 70s type sound.

Was hoping to dial in through the amp but looks like a pedal is going to be needed.

jim99 said:
Thanks!! I was struggling wondering where I had gone wrong.

Not really trying to nail a specific tone just trying for something that gives a bit of overdrive on the B and E strings ... sort of the late 60s and 70s type sound.

Was hoping to dial in through the amp but looks like a pedal is going to be needed.

Just wondering Jim,
Is the light OD tone you want one that's produced by a Strat with single coil PUP's. The Eagles, and many other 60's and 70's soft rock bands, mainly played Strats. If so, you won't ever get that tone from a Les Paul. Doesn't matter what pedals or amps you use.

I can get those tones great with my 5:50 (blues channel) using both a Strat Standard, and a Gretsch but I can't get it with my SG or a buddy's LP.

Thanks again!!

Was planning to go to the local store on Thursday to look at pedals so I will definitely try a Strat on one of their 5:25s.

If I may ask, what settings would you suggest to try?

jim99 said:
Thanks again!!

Was planning to go to the local store on Thursday to look at pedals so I will definitely try a Strat on one of their 5:25s.

If I may ask, what settings would you suggest to try?

Try the blues or crunch channels with gain anywhere above 12 oclock, treble between 11 and 2pm, Mid 10 to 12, Bass same, Reverb over 12, Contour off. On a Strat use the 2nd PUP switch setting :)

Thank you for the time you spent working with me on this.

I tried your settings with an American Vintage '62 Strat and it was very, very close.

So now I need to convince my wife that I "need" the Am Vintage '62 Strat to get that sound I'm looking for.

jim99 said:
Thank you for the time you spent working with me on this.

I tried your settings with an American Vintage '62 Strat and it was very, very close.

So now I need to convince my wife that I "need" the Am Vintage '62 Strat to get that sound I'm looking for.

hahahaha - glad it worked out Jim.
Good luck with the wife - we all need that :lol:

Definately use the blues channel for this, or even the clean with the gain up high. Id use the 25w mode too for the extra presence to clarify the strings.

Not sure you need a strat to do it though, afaik they used LPs for the recording.......

Latest posts

Back