eurotubes... so many options

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmtrub

Reaction score
So I have Bob's preferred Dual Rec setup in my trem-o-verb, and it sounds wonderful. Time to retube the LSC. Anyone care to share their experiences with JJ's in their LSC?

Thanks much.

If you want pure tone get some JJ 6V6's and give them a shot. Absolutely transforms the amp. I've got a couple of JJ's in my preamp, but I've got an EH or Sovtek in V1, can't remember which.

BTW... the 6V6's have more bite and less bass. They go wonderfully with the LSC. The amp seems more touch sensitive now. Just run both channels on 100w, leave the bias switch set for 6L6, and set the power to "tweed" and half your load, example: Run your 8ohm speaker cab off the 4ohm jack on the Lonestar.

I loved the JJ 6L6's in my LSC, I loved a "High Gain" in V1, and matched PI, but I really didn't notice any thing else with the "Full Retube". I also liked the EL34l's and the "Thick" setting, sounded kind of Marshally with hints of Fender.

I retubed with mesa and they sucked. Got the JJ's high head room, my requested custom set and wow! Big as Texas!

I really like JJ 6L6 power tubes.

NOT that crazy about their pretubes. I have wanted to try the goldpin series. I like a RCA 7025 (NOS) in V1 and another NOS either Sylvania or Jan Phillips in V2. I use a NOS 12AT7 for the reverb driver. And anything balanced for V4 (effects loop) and V5 driver tube.

The JJ Pretubes are darker than my taste, but they appear decent quality.
Greg

I'm probably within the vague consensus here: JJ's are a little darker than I'd like, but they seem consistent and reliable and basically are just fine. If you just want to upgrade from the Mesas, they're a great start and you can't really go wrong with them. Once you start getting obsessive and geeky about tubes, it all gets a bit subjective... lots of opinions.

I have an LSS that I've been struggling with for two years to get a smooth sound out of channel 2 but I think this applies to the LSC as well. I went as far as doing the "Reeder Mod" which helped but I was still tweaking. I decided that it was time for a retube and after talking with the Eurotube folks ended up getting their high-end kit with the gold tubes for maximum smoothness. I noticed an immediate difference and ended up reversing the "Reeder Mod" back to stock. What I found was a much smoother and warmer response from the JJ tubes. Additionally, I discovered that I didn't need to turn the gain up as high to get the smooth sustain I was looking for. As the manual says, moderation is the key to great tone.

DJW, are you calling me a geek? The beauty of tone is the result at the end of the search.
I like the RCAs because they sound the most "Country" in the LSC IMHO
The Sylvanias are generally strong tubes and give me lots of flexibility in the "drive" mode in channel 2. The AT7s sound much warmer to me for the reverb driver.

BUT, as you said, it is all relative. I have used and like almost any tube, but not too fond of EH or Chinese. fizzy!

loudguitars said:
DJW, are you calling me a geek?
Unequivocally, if you're anything like me. :lol: Actually, I've spent way too much money trying out tubes in the last year -- and I haven't even gotten into RCAs or Sylvanias... I'm still looking for the perfect combination, but unwilling (so far) to get into anything too expensive yet. I suppose it's only a matter of time, though.

I think I'm afraid of getting into NOS and the like because I'll get hooked on something that I won't be able to replace down the road. But maybe I should just take the plunge and enjoy it while I can, eh?

I've also bounced back and forth between using 6L6s and 6V6s, and combining pairs of those with pairs of Yellow Jackets/EL84s. I love the 6V6/YJ combination... very sweet and chimey. I have JJ EL84s (haven't experimented with those much); as for 6V6s, I have been happy with EH (brighter, punchier, w/nice sparkle) and JJ (darker, softer). I got into some Tung Sol 6V6s, but have not spent too much time with them. They're ok, I guess.

I also tried some Tung Sol 5881's, which are ok too. But now I'm back on the 6L6 tip, and I've been going back and forth between some Tung Sols and JJs. They're both fine; the key thing that I've tried to stick with is getting tubes that are biased hotter than those Mesa tubes. If you can get tubes that run in the 33-39 mA range in your LSC, this seems to be the way to go. It probably makes a bigger difference than which medium-level brand you get, as long as they're basically sound.

As for preamp tubes, I've been running a 12AX7 combo suggested by Doug:
V1 - Tung-Sol reissue
V2 - Mullard reissue
V3 - Penta Labs
V4 - Shuguang 9th gen
V5 - Sovtek LPS
(actually, I'm on an EH 12AT7 in V5 right now)
Edit: scratch that, I just went and did some swapping, first to a JJ ECC81 (which is like a 12AT7), and then back to the Sovtek 12AX7... and I'm going to stick with it. Seems to be rounder and firmer, really pops nicely but with no harshness.

I've tried a JJ ECC803s in V2, which is the high-gain take on the ECC83s, and I actually didn't like it so much... the Mullard in V2 is really sweet.

Anyway, based on what I've heard about and on my own usage thereof, my opinion of JJs they are a good way to go because they seem consistent and affordable and are basically just fine; there's something to be said about just getting a set of them and not worrying about it.

plan-x said:
Anyone try the winged C 6L6's. Heard they sound good and are durable.

Never had them in the Lonestar, but I've used them in other amps and liked them alot. If I were looking to run 6L6's it'd be either those or the TAD's

Hi all! :wink:
Since I got my LSC head (used) I'm thinking about retube. All these Eurotubes/JJ kits are pretty interesting as well as other brands like Svetlana, GT, EH, Mullard etc., but I wonder: is it safe to put them in a fixed bias amp like Lonestar?

Maybe Mesa's tubes sound flat compared to others, there's no chance to experiment new tone possibilities and I'm neither so happy to pay Sovtek tubes as much, but at least you'll know for sure that everything will work fine and there won't be damages to your amp. I'd like to try other tubes, but I'm afraid of my LSC safety.

What d'you think about that?

Thanks a lot!

I put the whole high gain setup in a triaxis and retubed a 2:90 with a set from Bob. The triaxis sounded brand new and a lot beefier. The 6l6 tubes from jj are probably the best I have heard. I am about to order his high gain set for my Mark IV with the EL34Ls.

lonestarpaul said:
Since I got my LSC head (used) I'm thinking about retube. All these Eurotubes/JJ kits are pretty interesting as well as other brands like Svetlana, GT, EH, Mullard etc., but I wonder: is it safe to put them in a fixed bias amp like Lonestar?

Maybe Mesa's tubes sound flat compared to others, there's no chance to experiment new tone possibilities and I'm neither so happy to pay Sovtek tubes as much, but at least you'll know for sure that everything will work fine and there won't be damages to your amp. I'd like to try other tubes, but I'm afraid of my LSC safety.

Thanks a lot!
My experiences with Eurotubes was them being aware of the voltage range of my LSC's various tubes and hand picking(testing) them. When I received them, they were labled for each position, v1, v2, etc. I sure that most of the major tube dealers do this.

plan-x said:
lonestarpaul said:

Thanks a lot!
My experiences with Eurotubes was them being aware of the voltage range of my LSC's various tubes and hand picking(testing) them. When I received them, they were labled for each position, v1, v2, etc. I sure that most of the major tube dealers do this.
...so there should be a sort of selection/test process (something similar to what Mesa does??) behind those kits, right?
This is really interesting under many points of view, mainly because JJ tubes are great sounding!!!

Go to their website. They explain how they match the sets for mesa amps. I also read that they just got some state of the art machine that tests and grades the tubes so you know that you are getting a safe tube to use in a fixed bias amp.

I have not been satisfied with the JJ preamp tubes. Sound kinda flat, dull, lifeless. I actually get better tones with sino preamp tubes, but they have a relatively short lifespan (in my amp, anyways...)

ty

Latest posts

Back