Eurotubes or Dougs Tubes "Tube Kits" for Roadster

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhguitar1

Reaction score
I have a Roadster head and am looking to swap out my pre amp tubes. Although I would love to, I just don't have the money to buy nos tubes. So my options right now are going to be between Doug's tube kit or a kit from Eurotubes. I'm not sure which one to go with. I'm not worried about getting super high gain. I'm more worried about getting a good lead tone that won't crack peoples eardrums. I appreciate any opinions.

Thanks

Eurotubes will be all JJs, and Dougs Tubes will be a 'cocktail' that he recommends for everyone no matter what style of music or tone changes they are after. I've swapped tubes in a Recto amp several times and always came back to the stock Mesas. YMMV.

JJ's made my Recto sound aweful. The Doug's combo smoother out my Recto nicely and I swear by that combo on my Recto. I'm going to eventually try that combo on my Stiletto to see how it goes.

Doug and Bob(eurotubes) are both great to deal with and easy to talk to. Id say if you are into the JJ's you could go either way. I personaly like the mentioned "cocktail" method for retubing - for me includes a few JJ's. I especially like having a "cocktail" while im retubing my amp. Always makes everything sound better. :D

Thanks guys!! I went with Doug's Tubes. If I remember correctly, the 5th pre amp tube is for the reverb, right? His kit only has 5 tubes and I didn't want to buy an extra for reverb that I don't really use.

Just keep in mind that his "cocktail" is the same for every amp. Fender, Marshall, Mesa, same tubes. If you like tung-sol's in v-1 then you may like it.

Latest posts

Back