EQ Pedal for Nomad 45

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angstwulf

Reaction score
Nice board guys.

Questions: anyone run an EQ pedal thru their Nomad 45's? (I have a 1x12 combo). What brands are you using? Are you running in front of the amp or through the effects loop? Does it add much in the way of additional tone options?

Not slagging my amp, I really like it (channels one and two mainly, I pro'lly should have gone for a two channel amp) but at a volume that doesn't piss off the wife and neighbors I find it a little too dark (muddy, I dunno). Thought that a pedal could add a little more shimmer to the tone.

Thanks all,

Tommy

I used to run a Boss PQ4 through the loop of my 45. Parametric eq's are good because they don't compromise the original signal as much as the graphic ones do. Eqing is best done in three places before the pre, after the pre, and after the power.

I was never happy with the Nomad however and traded it on a Maverick. Much better.

Some things that helped improve the tone of the 45 was switching the extreme mode on and changing the ch 2 & 3 driver stages as well as the PI for NOS 12at7's. Lowered the gain a little and added clarity.

Jon

Thanks for the suggestions. While I'm messing about I may retube the pre-amp section, you are not the first to suggest this.

What didn't you like about the Nomad?

While I found that it wasn't the be all and end all of amps that I had hoped for, I generally like the sounds. My problems with the amp are that I found that the more I played, the more I found myself going to only one or two particular tones. Three channels was overkill and I find that I prefer getting high gain sounds using pedals (I like quirky, fuzzy high gain). I later figured that I would have been best served by putting my money towards fewer options.

Hi Angstwulf,

What didn't I like about the Nomad?

Well I had the same problem you're having. I only liked channels 1 & 2 (in their normal modes). I got sucked in by the 3 channels and 6 modes hype. I was using a les paul with it and found that ch 3 was too brittle and raspy on top of a layer of mud. The reverb was lovely but only audible on channel 1. The clean was nice (though not as nice as the Maverick) and Channel 2 was my favourite but not very versatile or dynamic.

I think I was most upset with the fact that it had all these 'amazing' options but most were useless and it cost me a small fortune to get it. Not as versatile or dynamic as I would expect from a tube amp. I had it for over 6 months, tried everything possible to make it work for me but I guess it's just not my style of amp.

Some people swear by these amps though. I'm glad they can get it to work for them. I hope you can too. Good luck.

Jon

I remember trying the Nomad 45 and 55, and not liking either one. Last year, I bought a Nomad 100. I think, for me anyway, the higher headroom of the 100 watts plus the graphic eq make a world of difference in the tone. I use Channel 2 Modern mostly, with some Channel 3 for uber-gain and Channel 1 Normal for rockabilly.

cvansickle said:
I remember trying the Nomad 45 and 55, and not liking either one. Last year, I bought a Nomad 100. I think, for me anyway, the higher headroom of the 100 watts plus the graphic eq make a world of difference in the tone. I use Channel 2 Modern mostly, with some Channel 3 for uber-gain and Channel 1 Normal for rockabilly.

Interesting that you (and others) have said that about the 100. I was looking for a smaller amp so I never tested one. This was pre-F series and the other Boogie option, the Subway series, I was kind of -meh- on the clean sound. I'm surprised that the 100 is so better regarded since most of my tonal complaints about the 45 go away when I open it up past bedroom levels (unfortunately, way past bedroom levels).

What about the built in EQ helps?

Laters,
Tommy

Angstwulf,

What are your current tone settings, especially on channel 3?

What guitar are you playing? Do you have anything in the effects loop now?

Also, have you plugged the Nomad into any other cabinets, and unplugged your internal speaker? I Hated my channel 3 at first, with some serious tweeaking, I actually improved all three channels.

Have you experimented with the extreme switch on the back as well?

After owning a DC3, a Subway, a Studio 22, and a Rectifier Pre-amp, I'm convinced you can get any sound you want out of that Nomad 45.

mesa115 said:
Angstwulf,

What are your current tone settings, especially on channel 3?

What guitar are you playing? Do you have anything in the effects loop now?

Also, have you plugged the Nomad into any other cabinets, and unplugged your internal speaker? I Hated my channel 3 at first, with some serious tweeaking, I actually improved all three channels.
I should have mentioned this too. Channel 3 sounds monsterous on a closed back 412! I invested in a midi switcher to change amp channels and speaker assignments along with effects settings. Read all about it on my site. Link is below.

Thanks for the tips. I have thought about maybe an extension cab but while it may open up the sound won't pushing more cones at low volume cause other tone problems? If not, I could probably get away with a single or dual closed back (4x12 will cause unneeded feedback and a divorce).

I'm going to look at a couple of EQ pedals this weekend: an MXR 6-band and a Danelectro Fish and Chips. I'll also keep an eye out for some parametric EQ's.

To answer your questions:

I'm at work so I can't give any setting figures but mostly I try to keep everything at the 10 to 2 o'clock range. I like mid-range so I am more likely to dip the bass a tad along with the mid and push the treble more. That's way different from my old Marshall JCM 900 where I rolled back the treble more and accented the bass (on my strat).

I play two guitars:

1. A mid-80's stock Japanese strat (very pretty sounds on the clean channel); and

2. A Hohner Steinberger boat oar that I rewired for a JB Jr. neck, Carvin single middle and Alnico Pro II bridge. Not as rich as the strat (less wood) but the quietest guitar that I've ever played short of a real EMG stocked guitar.

Yeah, I find that the extreme and pushed modes give the best tone even at low volumes (Someone told me a long time ago: with a Mesa, when in doubt pull the knob and flip the toggle. He was joking but it really isn't bad advice)

As far as channel three goes, I don't hate it, even if I do think it is weak compared to the first two (which are very good). I just found as I spent more time with the amp that I personally should have gone for a two or even one channel amp and either spent less or used to money towards something of the similar quality but more focus.

I hope that this doesn't come off as a NOMAD SUX DOOD thread. My only true criticism of the amp itself is the muddiness at lower volumes. I do like this amp and besides, ultimately an amp is only as good as the player.

Sorry about rambling on but it's just that, being a member of the Nomad 45 owners club, I feel so, so damned lonely. It's good to finally talk about my amp without those hateful intolerant stares.

Just joking.

Sort of.

Laters,
Tommy

I've Got to agree 100% with JOPS...I had a Nomad 55 1x12...three channels...versatile..blah..blah...it was a 2 channel amp for the cost of a 3 channel....truly a failure for Boogie....the red high gain channel was useless......over saturated..no crunch....anyway.....got rid of it...bought a Lonestar 1x12.....happy times....

Latest posts

Back