EL84 Boogies vs 6L6 Boogies

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baddmann28

Reaction score
Hey all, new member here. Looking to score a used Boogie - and looking for some advice. I live in the middle of nowhere IL, so it's a 2 hour jaunt just to find something even used. I'm trying to narrow down some options here.

I'm looking at the possibility of either a DC-5 which is a 6L6, and a studio that uses EL84's. What's the big difference tonally between the two? I'm looking to go from SRV'ish sounds to Aerosmith / VH, even some Beatles / Stones stuff. Which would best suit my needs and why?

Thanks!

I have a Studio .22 and a Mark III (and am an ex-owner of a Simul 395 power amp) so I think I can answer your questions. The EL84s in my Studio .22 give it some action happening in the upper mids that 6L6 Boogies don't really get. That amp is a lot more capable of doing Marshall-type tones than my Mark III (R2 on that amp excepted). When I crank the gain on the rhythm mode, I get a crunch that reminds me of mid-gain British sounds. However, the lead mode still has that distinctive Boogie smoothness. When playing the rhythm mode set to clean, I get that very warm kind of Vox-y thing going on.

The Mark III has more of that Fender Twin-style clarity to it when played clean. The lead mode sounds to me like a natural extension of that. It is, to me, a more 'modern' sound, although that amp design is probably considered vintage by now.

For the specific sounds you're describing, I think the EL84s might be the better option, though Boogies in general are versatile enough to pull it off. If you're looking at a Studio .22, be warned that the DC-5 will surely be much more versatile in that you get separate gain controls and tone stacks for each channel. The shared architecture on the Studio .22 works pretty well for me, but some people find it limiting.

If you are looking at an EL84 Boog, I'd definitely get the DC3 over the studio 22. You have two discrete tone stacks and gain stages ...nothing like having completely separate tone and gain controls with an assignable GEQ to add to an amp's versatility. All this and they sound great too! :)

Edward

If you go with the Studio 22 you can also add an overdrive pedal, say a TS9 or a BB Preamp, to your signal chain to vary the tones.

I use a TS9 and a TC BLD to add different tones when using my Studio Preamp and like how it works. I sometimes run this preamp through a Peavey 50/50 that uses EL-84 power tubes. While there are some tone differences between the Studio combo and the Studio pre, they are basically both a two channel preamp with shared controls.

Don't worry about the Studio 22's 22 watts not being as loud as the DC-5's 50 watts. A 50 watt is only a few db louder than a 22 watt. And if you are playing venues where you will be using a PA you will be miking the combo anyway so the 22 will work great. 8)

You can crank her and get some power tube saturation without melting everyones face off. :twisted:

Thanks for the feedback guys- I know 22 Watts will be pleanty - actually I was worried a bit that 50 may be overkill.

What about the subway rocket vs the studio 22? Are they tonally the same just with different options?

I love the Rocket - but the Studio does has a better rep. The advantage a Rocket might have is that there'll be more of them about, and probably in better condition. Being a small-wattage amp, a Studio (or a Rocket, or a LSS...etc) will be more likely to have been 'ragged', and thus the older they are the more likely they are to require maintainance. However, it's a Boogie - it won't go wrong ;)

i have a 6l6 boogie (mk2b), and i change it into a el84 boogie very easily, with a pair of Groovetubes Substitubes.

works like a charm.

why not have both?

Koprofag said:
For your needs I think an EL84 amp would suit you the absolute best even though they all can do the SRV stuff (imo, it's not really about the tube type but more about the treble on the EQ and brightness of the guitar). EL84 Boogie amps are usually hotter than their EL34/6L6 counterparts which should only work in your favour.

You have SO much to choose from in the EL84 department I don't even know where to begin. But if you have the money and want a modern Boogie, the Lonestar Special would probably knock you down and have sex with you.

Also, the Express 25:5 (there seems to be many on sale) looks like it's right on the spot with its Lonestar cleans, blues capabilities and everything up to Aerosmith high gain (i.e. hard rock but not scooped fizzy metal). It's portable too!

As for the older stuff (DC-3, 22+, Rocket), they will work too. Oh man, you have some homework to do. 8)

Yeah, great info, thanks. And I know , I've got homework, lol.

Latest posts

Back