EL34s in your 2:90 (PICTURE) * UPDATE* UPDATE*

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Fret-Shredder,
a simple question... Do you assure me that Mesa has told you about this difference in tube installation between the oldere and newer 2:Ninety?
Putting the EL34s in the -52V sockets (the inner in the older version, with the blue power led) can blow up the tubes...

Mesa send you only this pic? 8)

so is the 2:90 with the fuse on the front and the blue light version 1?

Yes, it seems...
My 2:Ninety is so looking, and is the first version, wired for 110V.

The newer version has a red led on the front.

Anibody knows more details.

The important is the correct dislocation of tubes...

MESA emailed me this scematic. They told me that even though the picture shows 2 of the same 2:90s the top is suppose to represent the older VER1 amp and the bottom represents the newer VER2 amp. Don't ask me why they decided to use 2 of the same amps for the pic. If you have concerns I say call them and ask about it. They were very helpful. Hope this helps :D

Thank you.

It's a bit difficult call Mesa techs in Petaluma... An intercontinental phone-call from Italy... Not the best for my wallet! :?
But your reply is helpful enough, I wanted a confirm...

I did know all these specs for the older 2:Ninety (mine), and your pic has told me something I just didn't know about the newer, expecially the different piece of hardware on which the sockets and tubes are installed.

It should be that I'll upload a more detailed "chart" of all the features of the 2:Ninety, if I'll get it...

8)

i checked and of course, i DO have the old one (mine is labeled N-0182) which i have to wonder if it is only the 182nd 2:90 to be made??

now, are there no adjustments that have to be made? Can you just pop the tubes in there and thats that? is it harmful to the amp at all?

do you have to use Mesa EL34's?

I picked up a Marshall EL34-100/100 amp and was toying with the idea of running both amps in my rig just to get the el34 and 6L6 sounds mixed together, but if i could mix them together in one amp and hear the result (as i ran my marshall amp and mesa amps together in stereo and it sounded absolutely phenomenal), but if i could do all this in one amp i will sell the Marshall, as it has already broken down on me after just a few weeks of playing on it...i am not used to poor reliability like this, as i have had the 2:90 for over a decade now...

mightywarlock said:
i checked and of course, i DO have the old one (mine is labeled N-0182) which i have to wonder if it is only the 182nd 2:90 to be made??

now, are there no adjustments that have to be made? Can you just pop the tubes in there and thats that? is it harmful to the amp at all?

do you have to use Mesa EL34's?

I picked up a Marshall EL34-100/100 amp and was toying with the idea of running both amps in my rig just to get the el34 and 6L6 sounds mixed together, but if i could mix them together in one amp and hear the result (as i ran my marshall amp and mesa amps together in stereo and it sounded absolutely phenomenal), but if i could do all this in one amp i will sell the Marshall, as it has already broken down on me after just a few weeks of playing on it...i am not used to poor reliability like this, as i have had the 2:90 for over a decade now...

All I can say is call Mesa if you are not sure about something, better safe than sorry. Besides you are local. Mesa is open Monday thru Thursday. Ask for tech support. If you have to leave a message , rest assured you will get a call back. I tried the EL34s in my VER2 2:90 and really did'nt notice too much of a difference so I went back to all 6L6s. That's just me. :wink:

this how the v2 look like..
482.jpg
[/img]

the older version had the simulclass wording above the mesa logo..
010103010303010402200707021c263d1567bb55f943006e72.jpg

From what Mesa told me,expect the clean sound to suffer a little with el34s fitted..And no adjustment is necessary.Just pop it in..

The picture is gone that I need. Can anyone post the picture showing where I would put the EL34's in? I have the version with the Chrome knobs like above. Thanks

For the older (with the blue light) 290 EL34's have to go in the 4 outer sockets:

x=el34 o=6L6

x o o x
x o o x

For the newer 290's (with the red light) it goes like this

o x o x
o x o x

Got it?

Greg

Hello guys,

After all this about putting el34's in a 295,
does anybody know if you can put el34's in a 395??

It doesn't say anything in the manual...

I always thought the 395 was like a 295 but with more controlls.
Does anybody know when and how many were made?

I love mine, but would like to experiment a bit with tubes...

Not much info to be found anywhere...

Cheers,
M.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, [ducks flying rocks] but this has me curious. I want to try the 2x6L6 + 2xEL34 [per channel] setup on my 2:ninety but I'm not totally sure which version I have. It has the red light on the front, but it's not a jewel style light, and it has the Stereo Simul-Class 2:Ninety across the middle above the controls. [SN N-377*] Did somebody just switch the blue light for a red one? Has anybody else done this tube swap with success?

-dave

Hi there,

In the mean time, I 'v contacted Boogie directly and they said it was OK to put EL34's in the 395.
In the class A sockets, that is.
I ended up playing simul class 2 x 6L6 + 2 x el34 per side for clean tones
and pure class A 2 x el34 per side for overdriven sounds.

The el34's definitely added something to the overdriven sounds.
They distort way quicker then 6L6's.
Adding a nice crunchy quality and a compressed brightness to the top end.
In fact what you would expect froml a el34...
The overdriven sounds get a bit of Marshall directness, you know...

But the low end fullness and warmth of the clean channel was compromised.
The full body, bell-like quality of the clean Boogie tone, got this extra "sizzle" on top.
Not desirable sizzle...
I found the benefit of something extra in the crunch not good enough to justify the loss in clean.

Oh yes, and they don't fit in of course. The el34's.
I had to remove the top cover to try them out...
Too high.

I don't know if this helps.
Can't say if the el34's work with your amp.
But I would guess the result in tone would be about the same.
If you only play classic rock / overdiven sounds, it's maybe worth it.
If you like a good bluesy "on the edge" clean tone, 6L6's are way better...

I wouldn't do it. Just had some spare el34's lying around to try out.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back