EL34s in your 2:90 (PICTURE) * UPDATE* UPDATE*

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fret-Shredder

Reaction score
Even though both the top and bottom 2:90s are the same. The top one is for VER 1 (older 2:90) tube installation and the Bottom is for the Ver 2 (NEWER 2:90) Mesa emailed me this as I am going to put EL34s in my (Ver 2) 2:90.

mesa.jpg

That's awesome that you posted that because someone just asked about the matching pairs. Kudos man...

What is the advantage of putting in El34 's? What type of tone difference does it give you? I have used 6l6's for the last 4 years, curious if it really changes the tone. Thanks

6L6 are darker than EL34 so I guess doing that you will have more treble to your tone.
Since 1994 I use stock mesa tubes and triaxis + 2.90 always gave me the tone I needed. :p

ibanezgtr said:
What is the advantage of putting in El34 's? What type of tone difference does it give you? I have used 6l6's for the last 4 years, curious if it really changes the tone. Thanks

Basically what Mesa told me is that by adding the EL34s it will even out your tone by boosting mids and highs and tightening up the bottom end. Just what I wanted to do. As soon as I install the EL34s and test it out I will post my findings. Cheers , Michael :wink:

Fret-Shredder said:
ibanezgtr said:

Basically what Mesa told me is that by adding the EL34s it will even out your tone by boosting mids and highs and tightening up the bottom end. Just what I wanted to do. As soon as I install the EL34s and test it out I will post my findings. Cheers , Michael :wink:

Glad I read this. EL34 are going into my Lone Star.

Can you put EL34's in for only one channel? I use 2 seperate sounds for both channels and may want only my B channel to have the EL34 sound. Also does the main Dual Rectifier distortion tone use EL34's or 6L6s? What's better for the metal sound. Thanks

how does this work?

i know there is the bias switch, but if you mix both types of tubes, do i need to take the amp somewhere to have them rebias it?

mightywarlock said:
how does this work?

i know there is the bias switch, but if you mix both types of tubes, do i need to take the amp somewhere to have them rebias it?

Keep in mind we are talking about the 2:90 power amp here. NOT Mesa Heads. The DIAGRAM is for the 2:90 POWER AMP. Cheers

UPDATE: I put a QUAD of EL34s in the 2:90 and to be honest I really did not hear a HUGE difference :shock: So I decided that I will keep the amp stock with the 6L6s. Hey , if you don't experiment you never know right? if anyone else tries it and finds it to be a huge tonal change please let us know. The 2:90 is a BEAST and SOUNDS AMAZING just like MESA designed it to be. So for now it's 6L6s baby !!!! :)

Dead Moon Rising said:
Is it true that when you run integrated el34's in Half-Drive, you get just the el34's?

Half drive doesn't change the power tube selection like one would think. You are actually reducing the signal in the preamp tubes but are still running 180 watts full power to the output tubes.

If half drive was more like a class A/Simul class switch then it would be great and more usuable IMO.

Greg

Fret-Shredder said:
mightywarlock said:
how does this work?

Keep in mind we are talking about the 2:90 power amp here. NOT Mesa Heads. The DIAGRAM is for the 2:90 POWER AMP. Cheers

look At my gear!

i own a 2:90 and mine doesnt look like either of those pictures.

mightywarlock said:
Fret-Shredder said:
mightywarlock said:
how does this work?

look At my gear!

They used the same picture for both amps. Look at the titles of each amp. Ver 1 is the top amp for the older style and Ver 2 is the bottom for the newer amp. If your amp looks nothing like the picture most likely you have a Ver 1 ( most likely I say) Hope this helps

mightywarlock said:
look At my gear!

Because it is an older one. :wink:
So you have to use version 1 pic .

the pics shown are V2 2:90..
I thought the 290 is in class A when the half drive is engaged?

and in my 2:90 b is on the left and a is on the right. not to mention the difference in the fan location. but yes the pics above are right about how the tubes are configured per channel, just reversed.

Latest posts

Back