EL34s in a Tremoverb

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarzan1143

Reaction score
So i get my ToV back from Mike B, LDR replacement and a few other tweaks just to get it in 100% working order. I get it back, and i put it on Bold/Rectifier with EL34s. I get a very annoying loud noise called "motorboating", I called and reported this problem, and apparently EL34s just do not work right in ToV's. Rich said if i replaced them with 6l6s, the problem would go away.

anyone had this issue?

I currently have a 98 ToV that I have run a few different el34s in, I have never had any issue with "motorboating" or strange happenings. I also had a 94 Tov a few years ago that I ran on el34s, never had an issue with that one either. Sounds strange to me.

Doesn't sound right to me either. I don't usually run EL34s in mine, but the power section is the same as any other 2-channel Dual Rectifier and is designed to run them as an option - there's nothing different about the Tremoverb in that respect. I certainly haven't had any problems like that. I don't even agree with the 'best to use vacuum tube with EL34s' warning - that's a hang-over from the 90s when the typically available new EL34s were junk Chinese ones (that Mesa used, like everyone else - in fact they were so bad that Marshall went through their notorious 5881 period at this time, because they couldn't get reliable EL34s) and wouldn't handle the voltage. Proper EL34s actually have a *higher* voltage rating than 6L6s.

Just my 2 cents....... I replaced the EL 34's that came with my ToV with JJ 6L6's a few months after I got it, and the change was amazing. Granted, I had no idea how old the EL 34's were, but the sound this thing puts out now is killer from cleans to crunch, and everything in between.

Mike

I love EL34's in my TOV. I'd love to hear what el34 vs 6l6's, have to do with motorboating? Do you have another pair of el34's, to try? what are you using now? Still I don't get the power tube causing this? :?

Me neither. It was straight from Rich's mouth, the guy in charge of the repairs, he says he gets the issue a lot. I took two of the rubies out. they were "49"s, the ones in there now are "40"s, i suppose that means the bias on the tube itself, its written on the tube near the bottom. it works great, but i dont like the sound of two tubes, so i guess i will try to find a matched quad of el34s, i might just buy some mesas. the el34s worked great in my mark III, so i know they arent messed up.

That noise has less to do with EL34's and has more to do with banged up power tubes in general. I had a brand new set of TAD 6L6's that I never even got to play before sending my amp to NYC, and after traveling 3000 round trip via UPS, they did nothing more than make motorboat sounds.

So I put some Winged C's in my Recto and doubt I will ever go back to 6L6's!!

I bought EH el34's, I coudn't afford the winged C's (great tubes IMHO). I like the sound of the EH el34's and a quad was only $59. I also put in a bias pot in my TOV which helps when buying different brand tubes.

The EH El-34's were my first venture outside of 6L6 land and while they did sound good, they had a nasty high end to them. Just wait till you get Winged C's!!!

mikey383 said:
I'm looking forward to trying the Winged Cs. My only reservation is having to buy 6 of them...damned Stiletto Trident :x

mike b told me he didn't like winged c's in rectos.
they're too bassy for them.
FWIW.

JimAnsell said:
mikey383 said:
I'm looking forward to trying the Winged Cs. My only reservation is having to buy 6 of them...damned Stiletto Trident :x

mike b told me he didn't like winged c's in rectos.
they're too bassy for them.
FWIW.

I found JJ's to be to bassy too. The EH's sound great IMHO. Did Mike B suggest a good el34?

ibanez4life SZ! said:
If you guys want a good EL-34 for a recto, get the Tung Sol EL-34Bs....AWESOME tube!

How are you setting the tone on your REC? You scoopin' or keeping some mids in there? A mid boosty tube would seem to be preferred by one that does not uber scoop.

Latest posts

Back