EL34 in a Dual Rectifier (New here too)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bro KV

Reaction score
I am new here. I am picking up a DR and was thinking of running 34's in it. Anyone here do this? How do you like it? I had a triple rectifier back in the early 2000's and switch to ENGL in the last year. Now I am going back to Mesa. :D

More upper mids. More complex sounding midrange. Less bass. Smoother treble. More compressed. Less fizzy. Less aggressive. Less thump.

I like them for leads, but I prefer 6L6s for rhythm.

i run el34is in my two channel dual rect love em have heard 6l6s and wouldnt go back i like the chunk. a little less gain but more definition in my book

The EL34's were to shrill for me. KT77's were much warmer and had a bit more definition in the low range. But now I am going back to 6L6's. Love that low end.

I'm using JJ E34Ls in mine, and don't notice any loss of low end or lower midrange, but have an increase in bite and upper midrange.

I keep trying 6L6s, but keep coming back to E34Ls.

Tung-Sol EL34b's. All of the low end and muscle of 6L6's with all of the tightness and crunch of EL34's.

I'm getting itchy to try 6l6's in my roadster. I bought it with new El34's in there so I haven't even heard them with 6l6's in them.

Scratch that, wont be trying 6l6's.

I found these clips on another site from a guy that posts tons of clips of his Dual Rec. Try and guess which one is 6l6's and which one is EL34's

Most of you veterans here better get this right considering I guessed right strictly based on what you guys have said about the difference (and the fact that i do run El34s)

Clip A. http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/332050/2 ch. Dual Rec EL34 vs 6L6/A.mp3
Clip B. http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/332050/2 ch. Dual Rec EL34 vs 6L6/B.mp3

Note: listening to the entire clip helps.

It's a trick question. They're both EL34s.

Seriously, I couldn't tell a difference. I don't know if it's my crappy computer monitors or what, but they sounded exactly the same to me. I even listened to them several times back to back and couldn't hear a difference.

I think it's the same clip played twice. Normally my computer speakers aren't that bad for picking up details, and to me both clips sound the same. Anyone that's tried both types of tubes will be able to attest that the differences between tube types is more significant that what's demonstrated by those clips.

screamingdaisy said:
I think it's the same clip played twice. Normally my computer speakers aren't that bad for picking up details, and to me both clips sound the same. Anyone that's tried both types of tubes will be able to attest that the differences between tube types is more significant that what's demonstrated by those clips.

It is the same clip played twice. Listen to the pick attack in the first part of both clips. The overtones are exactly the same at exactly the same time. No way that's possible by playing the same riff twice.

it's not the same clip, it was reamped.

The difference is subtle when tracked i guess but there is a difference, i can clearly hear it with my sennheiser headphones.

For what it's worth, I just went and recorded my own amp with both sets of tubes in. I wound up overdriving my mic, so I won't post the clips, but even with the overdriven mic I noticed two things...

1) The tone in both clips sounded remarkably similar, and

2) Despite the similarities there was bigger differences than in the clip posted above.

I found the mic shaved off the bottom and top end response, so you couldn't hear the difference in that regard. Cheap camara mic though so what do you expect?

What I found odd however was the midrange response. I mixed up an Eb open string palm muted riff with a 5th string root/octave power chord riff further up the neck. With the EL34s that root/octave riff really popped out... it sounded much thinner with the 6L6s. Yet the difference was totally lost to the mic.

I'll try rerecording it at a lower volume to see if I can still get the differences to pop out.

On a side note... I really need to buy a decent recording setup.

Latest posts

Back