EL34 - Does this homogenize the sound of Ch.2 and Ch.3?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HCarlH

Reaction score
Being tired of the ice pick highs with stock 6L6s, I installed EL34s and was thrilled that I can actually use the treble and presence controls along with using single coil guitars with the Mark V now. However, it seems that Ch.2 and Ch.3 pretty much sound the same regardless of toggle switch positions. Is it just me or have the EL34s reduced the tonal options?

I switched to EL34's recently and really liked the warmer sound I got even if the bass isn't as tight. The way the amp works though hasn't changed at all. Still plenty of tonal range on all channels, all the switches basically do the same thing as with the 6L6's just an overall tonal shift.

daverose said:
I switched to EL34's recently and really liked the warmer sound I got even if the bass isn't as tight. The way the amp works though hasn't changed at all. Still plenty of tonal range on all channels, all the switches basically do the same thing as with the 6L6's just an overall tonal shift.
+1 to that! I've switched to E34Ls. Ch2/Mark 1 mode sounds awesome. And, nothing in Ch3 sounds like it. I don't find "homogenization" at all. IIC+ sounds totally different than IV in ch 3. I actually like how the 34s tighten up the tone, especially in a band mix.

babow2 said:
IIC+ sounds totally different than IV in ch 3. I actually like how the 34s tighten up the tone, especially in a band mix.

Thanks, guys, for the comments. I will have to continue experimenting with IIC+ and IV to start along
with Ch. 2.

Personally, I prefer the sound offerings from my MkV with 6L6 tubes....just my opinion.

A bazillion Simul-Class amps with EL34s can't be ignored. It just depends in your taste. If you don't lean toward the modern metal genre, the EL34s are a preference...at least to me. I like a looser bottom-end because it increases cone excursion and the cool associated growl.

kdorsey said:
If you don't lean toward the modern metal genre, the EL34s are a preference...at least to me.

That is correct...as heavy as I go is Bon Jovi and AC/DC :lol:
Being able to use single coil pickups without the ice pick highs is very important.

It's been a long time since I ran EL34s, but if I remember correctly I found that they did make channels 2 (crunch) and 3 (IIC+ and IV) sound more similar, although still not identical. It was one of the reasons I gravitated back to 6L6s after awhile.

Could've just been the way I dialled things in too... someone else with different tastes could've ended up with totally different sounds.

MBJunkie said:
Personally, I prefer the sound offerings from my MkV with 6L6 tubes....just my opinion.

screamingdaisy said:
It's been a long time since I ran EL34s, but if I remember correctly I found that they did make channels 2 (crunch) and 3 (IIC+ and IV) sound more similar, although still not identical. It was one of the reasons I gravitated back to 6L6s after awhile.

Could've just been the way I dialled things in too... someone else with different tastes could've ended up with totally different sounds.

Well, I'm going to eat my words.
I switched back to 6L6s. :shock: :oops:

I was missing the big, open tone in Ch. 2 and 3 and also the sparkle in Ch. 1.
I've learned to dial in the highs so they're not overbearing (e.g. Ch. 1 treble around 9 o'clock and presence around 9 or 10 o'clock, mid around 11 or Noon, and keeping the gain around Noon or 1 PM seems to tame the treble. I'm using the 45 watt setting.)

I use single coils mainly (Stratocasters and a Telecaster with the occasional humbucker equipped guitar) which was my impetus for trying EL34s, but after gigging it a couple of times it just sounded a little blah to me.

It wasn't bad sounding, but if I want Marshall, I'll play my JTM-45 or my Kemper with Plexi profiles. I'm going to let the Boogie excel at its own sound.
I know you veteran Mesa players can tweak the heck out of the channels to get different tones, but I'm not one of them.

It is a luxury to be able to go back and forth without a re-bias. Thank Mesa for that!

The reason I tend to favour 6L6s is because they emphasize a certain frequency in the midrange that I'll refer to as "brassy". I really hear it when playing double stops on the 3rd and 4th strings, or single notes around the middle of the fretboard. While EL34s may produce more mids, to me their mids lacked the weight that 6L6s have and generally sounded thin in comparison.

Latest posts

Back