Effects with DC-5

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatrickL101

Reaction score
I've just aqcuired a few pedals to go with my DC-5 and boy this thing is picky when it comes to them (and their power supplies) :p
I'm starting to consider (As i'm now in a few different genre bands) buying something like a second hand GT-8 so that I have all the options I could possibly use right there at my feet.
Just wondering if anyone here uses this setup/something similar? If so i'd love to hear what you think.
Also, to anyone else here: What pedal setups do you use?
You can probably tell i'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to this stuff so any advice would be totally awesome.
Cheers :)
Pat.

My DC10 really doesn't like pedals either unless there before the loop. I don't use many time based pedals so I don't have to worry but even when I run a delay through at 100% mix It just doesn't seem right. I run a TS-9(808mod) always on on the lead channel and a compressor (line6 it's actually decent) for cleans both through the front of the amp. I have never used a multi effects on my amp, but if you do I might say take a look at the serial fx loop mod.

I have the GT-8 and love it. I used it with my Marshall DSL 401 combo (I know, I know...I sold it and I'm shopping for a DC-3 now) and tried both the standard connection as well as the 4-cable method. I mostly used the overdrives and effects and didn't mess with the preamps much. After all, the point of having a quality tube amp is to not have to simulate a preamp. I guess if you were wanting some metal tones that the amp can't do, then the GT-8 preamps would come in handy.

One feature I really like is the CTL (Control) pedal. This lets you, among other things, control the channel select on your amp. In other words, you can create a preset on your GT-8 with some reverb, delay, chorus, etc. on the clean channel, and another preset with overdrive, delay, eq, etc. on the lead channel and only have to step on one pedal to switch. It's pretty handy!

I think the GT-8 won't really stand up to true, analog, high-end pedals, but the versatility and price can't be beat. It's very well-made, too.

I use a GT-10 with my DC-5 and I love it. I use the 4 Cable Method and amp control so the right effects are in the loop and I can switch channels. I hate the preamp models on there, so theyre always turned off.

Just for reference, Ill give you a breakdown on how my first bank is arranged.

Clean (rhythm on amp) - compression, light chorus, light delay
Rhythm (lead on amp) - dry
Lead 1 (lead) - light chorus, light delay, tubescreamer
Lead 2 (lead) -light chorus, heavy delay, tubescreamer

Depending on the situation, Ill go into manual mode to turn on various modulation effects. A Gt-8 or 10 (because of the amp control) is great buy and a perfect, less expensive alternative to a MIDI rig.

Thanks very much guys. I think i might get a GT-8 or GT-10 come payday on ebay or something. I'll definitely do the series mod on the effects loop before I hook it all up.
Pat.

So wait the GT8 or 10 can switch the DC channel by itself? This amp is not midi controlled so how does it know how to use the footswitch input?

kartoffel said:
So wait the GT8 or 10 can switch the DC channel by itself? This amp is not midi controlled so how does it know how to use the footswitch input?
Yeah if anyone could shed some light on this that'd be awesome.

PatrickL101 said:
kartoffel said:
Yeah if anyone could shed some light on this that'd be awesome.
A GT-8 or 10 can switch channels on any two channel amp with a 1/4' footswitch jack. You just need a standard instrument cable from the footswitch jack to the amp control jack on the GT, just like if you were using your amps footswitch.

That is so awesome that it's worth it just for that, but what about the fact that you can toggle Eq with the same switch because it's a stereo 1/4" cable

It will not control both the channel switching and the EQ switching at the same time. I'm pretty sure the stereo jack on the amp will allow the 1/4 inch plug to go all the way in, or pull out slightly 'til it clicks. It will either control the channel switching when pushed all the way in or when pulled out one click. Or it will control the EQ in either position. Just see which is which and go from there. I hope that was clear.

Back