effects loop vs front of amp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom_cheats

Reaction score
i just got a line6 m13 and i only have two cables at the moment so i have to run it guitar>m13>amp and i was wondering what the benefits on using the effects loop over front of amp are im kinda hazy on effects loops. its a dual rectifier 2 channel into a marshall 4x12 btw high gain modern rock

I would let your ear decide... hook it up both ways and see what the end result would be for both.

In a very general sense, putting effects into the front of the amp sends the effects into the preamp- where they are subject to the tone controls and gain. Basically, you take the sound going in to the amp and drive it with gain and EQ. On the other hand, in the effect loop,the signal coming into the effects already has the preamp's gain and tone and then you are adding effects to the "final sound' before it goes to the power amp. That is a very general statement. Also, the input level is different on the signal from the guitar and the signal in the FX loop, and some effects prefer one to the other. So, these two routes can affect how the effect sounds. Some types of effects seem to prefer the clean guitar signal and sound better when gain is added to them (traditionally wahs and choruses or pitch shifts sound better with the front end clean tone, while delays and phase/flanging can sound better in the fx loop). However, there is no right or wrong and what sounds good is subjective.

I am sure there are dozens of folks lining up to shoot this comment oout of the sky, which is fine. The point is the effects "process" differently when they are at the input stage and the loop stage. So, you can experiment and find what suits your ears, style and sound.

Personally, I run my wah, boost and any overdrive through the front of the amp, and a Lexicon for time and modulation effects through the loop.
Brent

+1
One way of looking at it is: How would you do it in a recording studio?
They stick a mike on your amp, which goes into the board.
Any effects like reverb, delay, or chorus, are going to be added after all the pre-amp and power amp distortion, equalization, etc. Indeed, effects will be added after the signal goes to the speaker. You can't get much more "post" than that. :D

thanks guys great advice perfectly clear to me now ill swing for the extra cable and give it a go!

Latest posts

Back