Effects loop contacts need cleaning...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boogiemon

Reaction score
Could anyone suggest a good way to clean the effects loop bypass jacks on my LSC? i took the amp to the factory once for this & they fixed it, but the problem came back. i took a look inside & it's a pretty tight fit to get any kind of tool in there for a good scrubbing. Right now i'm using the hard by-pass, but i want to play w/the solo feature a bit.

thnx.

Is your guitar cutting out? Sending it back to the factory for an effects loop jack cleaning seems a bit much, IMO. All you have to worry about cleaning is the return jack if it's cutting out. Easiest thing to do is slide a guitar cable in and out a few times and it should cure the problem depending upon how much crud, dust, or corrosion is on the contacts. I don't recommend using anything more abrasive than a hard bristled toothbrush or a Q-tip with some cleaner applied. You could also spray some Deoxit on the contacts. You want to be careful not to really bend the contacts or remove material as this is where you will most likely run into problems and have to replace the jack. A less attractive fix is plugging in a patch cable between the send and return or making a 1/4" plug with the tip soldered to the ground in the return jack.

thanks.

Yes, the signal drops out when the effects loop is engaged & there is no cable in the loop jacks in back. i don't use effects, but would like to play w/the solo feature.

"sliding a cable in & out a few times" won't do it since the dirty area of the contacts does not touch the cable in it's path in/out of the jack.

The Q-tip idea sounds hopeful: what type of cleaner do you recommend?

What is Deoxit?

i REALLY like my boogie & if it weren't for the 1 hr. drive to the factory & the time off from work, i'd take it back for them to do it. (i know i'm spoiled. i'm sure many boogie boarders would like to be this close to the factory)

i'd considered the use of a shorted cable, but i'm finicky about my amp & i want it to work right.

thnx again.
j

I like to turn my amp on and then use my toungue to clean the jacks. I like the tingling feeling in my toes! :lol:

buy some De-Oxit DS5. It's a medium-sized black can at your guitar center's pro audio section. Costs about $11. I used it to clean a couple of used rectos i bought on ebay after people on here recommended the product. It kills rust and leaves a thin protective layer. Completely safe to use. When you spray it, be sure to put it on the lowest setting, or else it sprays a lot (got some in my eye, but nothing happened).

Thanks Elpelotero for explaining De-Oxit.

You can use rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip or may some denatured alcohol found at your local hardware store. If you can get some stuff that is 100% alcohol that would be better. If your jacks are constantly getting dirty then maybe you need to find out why. Is it corrosion? Dust? A bad jack perhaps? I would hate to see you at a gig and then all of a sudden your amp starts cutting out.

Latest posts

Back