ED Dissapointment

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How`s your setup working out tonecaster? Are you still dissapointed?....I know "simple my ***" was a real aggravation for you!

I've been sidetracked a bit Jeffp, but plan on changing some preamp tubes and seeing if that helps any. Been playing a bunch and have just been using my Fuchs ODS......which is a great amp!!

I tried my Electra Dyne with greenbacks and had the same trouble you did, muddy and indistinct tone. Switching to either 2 v30s or a v30 and a c90 adds an immense amount of clarity while mitigating the bass substantially.

Ah, yes -- 25-watt Greenbacks. They sound so good with some gain, yet impart too much breakup to one's clean tones at gigging volumes. In essence, I have a total love and hate relationship with them. Strangely enough, I don't share that prejudice with English-made Celestion Alnico Blues ...

Of course, so much of this depends on your amp, playing style, guitar, pickup height, string gauge, favorite food, etc.

toneocaster said:
After owning my ED for 5 months now I took it to a gig last night, to a venue that holds probably 250 people.....a fairly good sized club. I couldn't wait to start the evening and see how she performed. I've spent countless hours at home experimenting with my ED and using different guitars, i.e. strats, PRS's and I could get the sound I was looking for with no problem. So I set the amp like I always do, 45w and right from the get go I had to turn the volume up. I turned the master up till I was blending with the mix. I was using a CS 56 strat with stock pups. The clean tones were great. When it was solo time, I was very disappointed. The minute I hit the gain (and I tried both stages) it was like someone reached over and turned all the treble off and the bass all the way up?? It was muddy as hell and sounded awful. I had a Keeley modded Blues Driver just in case and it saved my biscuits! Next set I switched to my Tom Anderson DT Classic, Humbucker in the bridge and, switched to the 90w mode. Clean sounded wonderful, the minute the gain was engaged the muddy bassy tone returned. I stayed on the clean channel and used the Blues Driver for the rest of the night. Even reaching down and turning the treble up, it didn't help at all. It just made the clean channel more bright....and with a strat that's not needed.

Guys, what am I doing wrong? The amp is loaded with 25 w greenbacks wired at 8 ohms and as it stands, I ready to sell this amp and stick to my trusty Fuchs ODS for my live gigs. 2k is a bit much for a bedroom amp. Any and all help and input would be greatly appreciated!

Beginning w/the Lonestar, Mesa seems to have hit on a really great clean tone & they've carried it forward to the Electradyne and the TA series. They've also made an attempt to back-port it to the rectifiers and the mark series (mark5). Unfortunately, in the case of the lonestar, electradyne, & TA's, the gain channel has gone to crap. i had a couple lonestars and they sounded great at low volume but in a band setting, the gain channel was just as you describe w/your ED. i also tried a TA 30 in the store & the clean channel is about the best i've ever heard but the gain channel sounded constipated like the LS's i've had. Mods, speaker changes, nothing could fix it. i finally gave up. If i were stuck w/one though i'd try keeping the preamp gain much lower & let the power amp work some more.

I think the clean mode is awesome!........Gain is smooth for me!......My only complaint is the volume balance between the clean and Lo/Hi. Mine is @ tech. Will not balance according to user`s manual.PERIOD!...I may have to let a very good sounding amp go because i can`t work with it. We`ll see. I wait!

boogiemon said:
Beginning w/the Lonestar, Mesa seems to have hit on a really great clean tone & they've carried it forward to the Electradyne and the TA series. They've also made an attempt to back-port it to the rectifiers and the mark series (mark5). Unfortunately, in the case of the lonestar, electradyne, & TA's, the gain channel has gone to crap. i had a couple lonestars and they sounded great at low volume but in a band setting, the gain channel was just as you describe w/your ED.

I haven't had any issues with the ED's gain channel(s) going to mud. The extra bottom end is awesome with single coils, which don't have the inherent mud of a humbucker. With humbuckers, keep the midrange up and the bass low for zero issues. Drop the mids or raise the bass... well, you get what you get, and don't be surprised if it disappears in the mix.

The LoneStar is a different issue. I agree it has a muddy lead channel, but I feel it was intended to be a true lead channel and not a high gain rhythm channel.... hence the thick lead notes that turn to mud when you try to riff on it.

I've never used the TA, so no opinions on that one.

Wow.......I have not gigged with one but have seen em used live and sounded fantastic! My buddy uses a 212 cab with V30s. I have also heard it live through a mix of V30s and MC90s. I use a THD cabinet with a V30 and THD Longhorn CL-80. I borrowed the ED from a buddy and it was impressive through the V30/CL80. I only had it briefly though. My favorite speaker combos are all V30s, V30/T75 and V30/CL80. I need the V30 in every cab to give me the feel I like as well.....that little bit of compression under the fingers.
The V30/G12-65 is another good mix, but I think the V30/G12T-75 is more full bodied.
I only like 25 watt Greenbacks with old Marshalls or something similar. My amps, Mesa, Bogner, PWE, all sound best with V30s or a mix........plus...get those mids up!!!! :)

It's been a while since I've posted but I'd like to update my ED Dissapointment post. I've been waiting patiently on my ED to sound the way I like it and it was an easy, under $100. fix. I installed 2 Jensen Mod.70w.12'. 16ohm speakers (made in Italy) and the amp sounds great! The greenbacks just didn't cut it. Loudspeakers Plus had the Jensen's for $47. a piece (still do), so I figured why not. They got here in less than a week and the difference they made were / are unbelievable! The bottom is tight, the mids and highs are perfect to my ears and style of playing. I'm seriously thinking of buying a couple more to retrofit a couple of my other amps. I've always thought of Jensen's as being a Fenderish speaker and I can't say enough about the difference they made. Hopefully Santa will bring me a digital recorder this year and I can post some videos!................bottom line, I'm a happy Mesa owner again!

Y'all have a Merry Christmas!! :p

Just dropping in to let you guys know i miss the board!. I really received good sincere responses dealing with my issue with the ED and from the beginning i realized there was some good people here.I have a JVM 210 now and it`s a good amp. Not by any means the tonemachine the ED was! but a good amp and i don`t have the volume balance issue anymore not with this amp.I still hope to go back to the build, quality components of Mesa when they build the independent two channell ED(Classic rock amp) with a full lineup of controls on each. But that may be a couple years before they do it if ever.
As for the speakers i still have my 2x12 rect cab with 2-HeritageG12-65`s. Very expensive yet very good decision. It sounds great! Merry X-Mas to all!

boogiemon said:
Beginning w/the Lonestar, Mesa seems to have hit on a really great clean tone & they've carried it forward to the Electradyne and the TA series. They've also made an attempt to back-port it to the rectifiers and the mark series (mark5). Unfortunately, in the case of the lonestar, electradyne, & TA's, the gain channel has gone to crap. i had a couple lonestars and they sounded great at low volume but in a band setting, the gain channel was just as you describe w/your ED. i also tried a TA 30 in the store & the clean channel is about the best i've ever heard but the gain channel sounded constipated like the LS's i've had. Mods, speaker changes, nothing could fix it. i finally gave up. If i were stuck w/one though i'd try keeping the preamp gain much lower & let the power amp work some more.

While I don't "LIKE" the gain on the Lonestar series, I disagree that the gain channels on the Lonestar and the ED suck. (I have no opinion on the TA series since I have not tried them) The Electra Dyne has a massive wicked crunch which is really pretty / perfect. Of course, you can DIAL it in to be muddy but I find that when I get the EQ set right, the amp is fantastic. I find with my setup, I dial in a great crunch tone and the high gain / clean tones balance well with not too much fiddling. I'm using two humbucking guitars, both with weaker output neck pickups and hot bridge pickups. This MIGHT have something to do with it.

toneocaster said:
It's been a while since I've posted but I'd like to update my ED Dissapointment post. I've been waiting patiently on my ED to sound the way I like it and it was an easy, under $100. fix. I installed 2 Jensen Mod.70w.12'. 16ohm speakers (made in Italy) and the amp sounds great! The greenbacks just didn't cut it. Loudspeakers Plus had the Jensen's for $47. a piece (still do), so I figured why not. They got here in less than a week and the difference they made were / are unbelievable! The bottom is tight, the mids and highs are perfect to my ears and style of playing. I'm seriously thinking of buying a couple more to retrofit a couple of my other amps. I've always thought of Jensen's as being a Fenderish speaker and I can't say enough about the difference they made. Hopefully Santa will bring me a digital recorder this year and I can post some videos!................bottom line, I'm a happy Mesa owner again!

Y'all have a Merry Christmas!! :p

What style of music do you normally play in a gig situation. Thanks.

Took the ED last night for our New Years Eve gig and I'm happy to report, it kicked *** and took names! I switched between 90 and 45w and the 45w setting provided what I needed for the gig! I'm glad I didn't dump it on eBay! Happy New Year!

toneocaster said:
Took the ED last night for our New Years Eve gig and I'm happy to report, it kicked *** and took names! I switched between 90 and 45w and the 45w setting provided what I needed for the gig! I'm glad I didn't dump it on eBay! Happy New Year!

This sounds mighty familiar. Definitely congruent with my experiences live with this amp!!

Back