ED Combo?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think a lot of the PRS/Mesa hype is just that - hype. However, I have a PRS, and it's a special guitar. It's a Hollowbody I - mahogany back and neck, maple top, rosewood fretboard. It's a night and day difference compared to my Strat - alder body, maple neck, S/S/S pups. I honestly can't say I like one more than the other, but when I get tired of one, I can go to the other for some refreshment.

screamingdaisy said:
The ED I actually want to try with G12T-75s. The amp is voiced with a lot of mids and doesn't have a lot of top end sizzle, so I'm thinking the G12T would produce a really chunky breakup without the typical G12T icepick. The lower speaker sensitivity might also aid in bringing the ED's volume down a notch or two.

I have a Marshall 4x12 with the G12T-75s in it. I think you said that you were running the gain quite low which does seem to lop off most of the sizzle so it would probably work well for you. I run the gain around 1:30 to 2:00 and have to be careful with the G12Ts as they can get harsh. I still do like that cab with my ED though.

J.J said:
I have a Marshall 4x12 with the G12T-75s in it. I think you said that you were running the gain quite low which does seem to lop off most of the sizzle so it would probably work well for you. I run the gain around 1:30 to 2:00 and have to be careful with the G12Ts as they can get harsh. I still do like that cab with my ED though.

I'm running my gain up around 1:00 now. I started with it low because I was intending on using the ED for an AC/DC kind of sound, but I noticed I was spending most of my time on the red channel so I bumped the gain up on the blue channel to 1:00 and have been using it like that ever since.

screamingdaisy said:
J.J said:

I'm running my gain up around 1:00 now. I started with it low because I was intending on using the ED for an AC/DC kind of sound, but I noticed I was spending most of my time on the red channel so I bumped the gain up on the blue channel to 1:00 and have been using it like that ever since.

The Gain up around 1:00 seems to be the 'sweet spot' of the amp, just like the Dual Rectifier. I had it up higher but then I backed it down because it sounds awesome in that region. You retain clarity and note separation, and as the amp volume goes up a bit, you get plenty of gain saturation!

Yes and the blue/red balance is good to. I found running the gain higher takes away the impact of switching from blue to red. The dynamics of the blue mode start to disapear too.

For ACDC I like gain the around 12:00 (blue mode). It probably has a little to much gain there, but tone is pretty close. Backing the guitar down a little helps tame the gain.

screamingdaisy said:
YellowJacket said:
Well, I bet your jamspace looks like a guitar store with all the amps you have!

A Gibson/Mesa guitar store that only carries one size of picks and two sizes in strings. In some ways it's a source of pride and in others it approaches embarrassing.

I've always been a fan of the Stiletto cabs over the recto cabs even though I owned a rectocab for the longest time. The tighter bass and added midrange punch is awesome!

That's what I've heard. The Traditional/Stiletto cabs have always gotten such mixed reviews that it's made me leery of them.... but I'd really like to give one a go.

I've spent the last month with a Stilleto cab next to a Bogner 4x12, both loaded with V30's. If you want a really sweet warm tone spend a little more money and get a Bogner. To me it's clear as day that the Bogner sounds better. When I play the Stiletto it sounds harsh compared to the Bogner.

danyeo1 said:
I've spent the last month with a Stilleto cab next to a Bogner 4x12, both loaded with V30's. If you want a really sweet warm tone spend a little more money and get a Bogner. To me it's clear as day that the Bogner sounds better. When I play the Stiletto it sounds harsh compared to the Bogner.

I've thought about a Bogner in the past but I think it's more geared towards a different tonality than I favour. I'm not really all that into sweet/warm tones... I like them, but I tend to lean more towards clarity with a bit of an edge when I dial in myself. It's one of the reasons my Orange 4x12 drives me up the wall so much... it's a very warm sounding cab when dialled in normally, but when I try to make it sound clear it sounds harsh.

Pres 12:00
Treb 1:00
Mid 12:00
Bass 10:00
reverb < 9:00

Keep in mind though I was trying to get a tone like "You shook me" and "High Voltage". At higher volume levels less gain and harder pick action is even better. I also roll the guitar volume down a little to 8.5 or 9 for the rythym parts and back to 10 for the solos. Rolling the volume just helps to take the edge off the tone. My "ACDC" guitar is an SG with Bare Knuckle Mules. The Mules are PAF type pickup and hence are fairly low output.

Latest posts

Back