EB JP6 vs JP6 BFR?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjk1138

Reaction score
Hello,

I did a search on this but found nothing, so I apologize if this is a repeated post/question.

I am highly considering buying a JP6 or a JP6 BFR, but I am not sure if the BFR model is worth it, aside from looking really pretty, having different woods, and a tone block.
I was able to try the JP6 at a local store and liked it a lot, but cannot find a BFR anywhere near me to try. The overall smoothness/playability concerns me more than the tone or other features (I tested the JP6 through a Mesa Roadster, so I pretty much know how it will sound).

Would any of you kind owners out there please let me know what you think of either model? Ideally, if anyone out there owns one of each, I would especially like to know
your thoughts please.

As a comparison, my current favorite guitar is a Schecter C1-XXX which is supposed to have a mahogany body (like the BFR), plays like a dream, and is light as a feather....if that helps in any. Additionally, I recently had the Dimarzio LiquiFire and Crunchlab's put into a Schecter C1 Elite, but for whatever reason that guitar kills my hands and is tough to play (the new pickups sound awesome though).

Thanks very much to anyone who can help me.

I share you experience with the JP6 guitars. Never did see even 1 of the Family Reserve models. I ended up getting the JP6 piezo model. Quite satisfied with the purchase. I agree with the pickups being good as well. I am looking to upgrade pups in one of my guitars but don't want to use the same ones and have another guitar that sounds the same... The $ to drop for a BRF is a pretty fat one anyway. To thicken the tone a tiny bit, I just use the EQ slider on my amp. 8)

I'm in the market for a Music Man at the moment too. Yet to find a BFR, but from what I gather, it's identical except for the slimmer horns.

Obviously it's different woods and a nice top, but playing wise. I'm probably going to go for a loaded JP6. The BFRs are just way too much.

MBMusicMan said:
I'm in the market for a Music Man at the moment too. Yet to find a BFR, but from what I gather, it's identical except for the slimmer horns.

Obviously it's different woods and a nice top, but playing wise. I'm probably going to go for a loaded JP6. The BFRs are just way too much.

I've owned 4 different BFR JP's, one of which I still currently have. I've also owned 2 standard JP6's. The BFR's feel a bit different because of the painted necks, but tonewise, they are nothing alike. I think the BFR's sound beefier and thicker to my ears, especially if you go with the Koa BFR JP since its all mahogany. I think the BFR's look and sound better, but thats just my opinion. EB is one of those companies that makes one hell of a product.

I've owned 4 different BFR JP's, one of which I still currently have. I've also owned 2 standard JP6's. The BFR's feel a bit different because of the painted necks, but tonewise, they are nothing alike. I think the BFR's sound beefier and thicker to my ears, especially if you go with the Koa BFR JP since its all mahogany. I think the BFR's look and sound better, but thats just my opinion.

Does the BFR sustain any more or less than the JP6? And is it any easier/more difficult to play?

Also curious...what led you go through 4 BFRs? :wink:

The BFR is a noticeably heavier guitar than the JP6 because of the different body wood, plus it's a slightly larger body than the JP6... subtle, but definitely a touch more mass.

The BFR's neck has a high-gloss finish -- this makes a huge difference in playability. Personally I hate gloss on my necks. The neck specs are the same as the JP6 though, so if you don't like the small neck of a JP6, you won't be much happier with the BFR.

Tone-wise, the BFR is a touch "thicker" or "beefier" though the JP6 is no slouch in that regard. Yes, slightly more sustain.

Scott

fjk1138 said:
I've owned 4 different BFR JP's, one of which I still currently have. I've also owned 2 standard JP6's. The BFR's feel a bit different because of the painted necks, but tonewise, they are nothing alike. I think the BFR's sound beefier and thicker to my ears, especially if you go with the Koa BFR JP since its all mahogany. I think the BFR's look and sound better, but thats just my opinion.

Does the BFR sustain any more or less than the JP6? And is it any easier/more difficult to play?

Also curious...what led you go through 4 BFRs? :wink:

I think the BFR's definitely have a bit more sustain because of the mahogany tone block that runs under the pickups. Its about the same to play as a regular JP6, but thats just me. I don't mind the painted neck like some people do. Also, I've been through 4 BFR's just because I was gassing for a different one each time. If I could've kept all of them I would have. I've had:

1 Ruby Burst Quilt (Alder body, Maple top, Mahogany Tone Block, Mahogany Neck, Rosewood Fretboard)
1 Koa (Mahogany Body & Neck, Koa top, Ebony Fretboard)
2 Dargie Delight BFR's (6 & 7 string) (Alder body, Mahogany Tone Block, Maple top, Ebony Fretboard)

Love the BFR's.

Back