E34L's in the Dual Rec!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I changed up to 50 watts by pulling 2 6L6's out of my 2ch recto

I loved it

I then replaced the 2 remaining 6L6's with the EL34's ouit of my Marshall JCM 800. I will never go back.

I am however, considering getting 2 very hot rated 6V6's that will match the bias of my el34's, and put them in the middle, see if I get some nicer smoother cleans and more bass out of my el34 recto, but i dont know if I will like it as I REALLY LIKED going to 50 watts.

MesaENGR412 said:
Nitrobattery said:
MesaENGR412 said:
you have any clips with that amp? :D

-AJH

clips of the roadster or clips of the other boogies with groove tubes?

The roadster

-AJH

no clips of the roadster yet. soon though. my band start's recording our new cd aug 1rst though, so there'll be some clips soon.

I use svetania, both in pre and power amps. I find a big difference between El34s and 6L6 in my rectos but not much of a difference between the different brands. I think people should experiment with guitars and ODs before trying different kinds of tubes, as long as you your tubes are not too old you get much more of a dramatic difference when using the right OD and guitar for the tone you are looking for...

on our last recording we used a 2 channels DR, red/modern, bold, diode, and OD and noïse gate in front. The cab is a 4*12 recto. 2 Gibson studio

danvortex said:
I use svetania, both in pre and power amps. I find a big difference between El34s and 6L6 in my rectos but not much of a difference between the different brands. I think people should experiment with guitars and ODs before trying different kinds of tubes, as long as you your tubes are not too old you get much more of a dramatic difference when using the right OD and guitar for the tone you are looking for...

on our last recording we used a 2 channels DR, red/modern, bold, diode, and OD and noïse gate in front. The cab is a 4*12 recto. 2 Gibson studio

i can't agree with you there. the brand and type of tube make a HUGE difference in your guitar tone. i've tried just about every brand of tube i can find, and i swear by the tung-sol el34b's. i've never heard a power tube that has as much definition AND crunch AND enough headroom for shimmering cleans. i almost messed myself the first time i popped them in my roadster.

Ha hA !!

Don't take me wrong, i agree brands do make a difference. But in my opinion using the right guitar and OD in front can make much more of a difference. I would not play my DRs with 6L6 for metal though, EL34s is the way to go if you want a tight metal tone.

well everything makes a difference. i'm really anal about my guitars, the pickups, the amp, the cab, the overdrive, the speakers in the cab etc. not paying attention to one of the major components like the tubes in your amp is like playing through a 10,000 rig and having sub par pickups in your guitar.

Don't take me wrong, i agree brands do make a difference. But in my opinion using the right guitar and OD in front can make much more of a difference. I would not play my DRs with 6L6 for metal though, EL34s is the way to go if you want a tight metal tone.

In your opinion el34's give you a tighter metal tone. I have both in my roadking and when i switch to el34's i get less bottom end. THe el34's are more crunchy and have more mids, but i have to say that the 6l6's in my roadking are definitely more tighter than the el34's or the el34l's that i have in there now.

nathan28 said:

In your opinion el34's give you a tighter metal tone. I have both in my roadking and when i switch to el34's i get less bottom end. THe el34's are more crunchy and have more mids, but i have to say that the 6l6's in my roadking are definitely more tighter than the el34's or the el34l's that i have in there now.

that's the thing that i'm trying to stress. different tubes act differently. i've tried some el34's with a lot of sag and not alot of low end that would be awesome for classic rock. then there are el34's with an insane amount of low end that are super tight. it all depends on the model el34. there's el34's, e34l's, el34b's etc etc. then each brand has their own take on them.

I don't have a dual (I have a Rectoverb head) and I've run El34's, Kt-77's
and 6L6's in there. They all sound good, al with a bit of a different flavor, but I went back to 6L6's as I get more of the "Recto" sound using those.
KT-77's were pretty cool though.
I did this clip with KT-77's on Vintage mode.
very crunchy.
http://www.netmusicians.org/index.php?section=id&value=1374

Nice sounding track! Very Zakk, which is always awesome. Good character from the lead phrasings, too.

Latest posts

Back