Dual Recto vrs. Mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianf

Reaction score
I have never played a Mark IV. I own a 3 channel Dual Recto with a 2 x 12 Recto cab.

I have the opportunity to pick up a Mark IV head at a very good price.

Would I have two amps that are very similar in tone or does the Mark IV have that much of a distint tone of it's own.

I guess what I'm asking is in 25 words or less how do these amps differ (Tone wise).

Thanks in advance for any help!!!!

brianf

These two are going to sound quite different.

The low end on a MKIV is much tighter. Its distortion is much smoother. The MKIV is more midrange dominate. The MKIV can give you really nice clear cleans, all kinds of pushed sounds and can also be down right nasty and mean. It takes up a different sonic space compared to the Recto's.

Is it worth having both? I'd say yes if you really like the Recto. The main reason is that the one thing the MKIV wont do is that big deep Recto sound.

Ahhh, the MKIV is one incredible amp! You can find many different sonic options which will distinguish it from your DR. Like the guy above me said, it's an entirely different amp.

The gain structure of the MKIV is every bit as intense and powerful as the DR's, but it's different; it's got a smoother texture and more liquid feel to it, IMHO. Depending on setup, it can feel alot tighter and focused. The MKIV also excels at the in-between tones that the DR series seems to half heartedly achieve.

But! This is no slam against the DRs. Ahhh, my favorite MB amp is the DC-10 (I've got the head) which combines the cleans of the MKIV and the red channel of the DR series.

But I have to contradict myself before I close this out: the tightest, most focused distortion I've ever heard came about when I was at my friend's house some time ago. I had a sweet little DC-3 head and my firend had a MKIV halfstack with the half-back cab. Out of curiosity, we ran the DC-3 through his cab and were amazed at the sound. I do not believe the over-sized Rectifier cab does the DR justice. To date, this distortion tone remains the most powerful and flat-out crushing I've heard.

Guy's!!! Thanks for the very thorough replies!!!!!

I'm going to pick up this Mark IV just because of the price. I know I can't go wrong.

I'll report back in 2 weekends when I go and pick it up.

Do the Mark IV's sound better through a open back, 3/4 back or should I just use my 2 x 12 Recto cab.

Thanks again.

brianf

Funny, everyone keeps saying smooth distortion, but what I like so much about these heads is that they seem to bark and growl more than a Recto. An edgier and more aggressive sound, compared to the fluidsaturation of all that Recto gain.

Think of Lamb of God and all that edgy, but not oversaturated, distortion. Mark IV's are amazing metal amps if you're going for a more classic thrash sound.

brianf said:
Do the Mark IV's sound better through a open back, 3/4 back or should I just use my 2 x 12 Recto cab.

I've given up on my 2x12. Sounds too brittle/harsh/trebl-y for my tastes.

Get yourself a 4x12 and prepare to move some air.

Latest posts

Back