Dual rectifier reborn trade for stiletto deuce stage 2?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rokcabilly

Reaction score
I have a dual rectifier reborn less than 4 months old. Not getting the exact tone I'm looking for. I really feel like I want the more marshall tone of the stiletto. I have the opportunity to trade straight across my dual rec for a stiletto deuce stage 2. Is that a fair trade? Thanks for any help.

You're on the losing end of that. He should add a few hundred bucks.

That said, if you want Marshall tone, I'd really just buy a Marshall, not a Mesa.

Thanks for the reply. I really need a clean in my band as well as a nice marshall tone. That's why I considered the stiletto. Seems like quality build with a great clean and different British flavors. How does the JVM series stack up to the stiletto?

Have you tried using channel 2 vintage while using el34 power tubes? The DR can do a convincing Marshall tone, just depends what Marshall tone you are after.

You know, I actually told the guy the deal wasn't very good on my end. Subsequently, I have EL34s on order and also a tung sol 12ax7 for v1 as well. I'm hoping to get a little closer to the tone I need with that combo. Thanks for the help. What might I try for settings once the el34s Are in?

I would say get a pedal for your marshall tones, the wampler pedals are really good, so are the bogner pedals.

Thanks. I was actually researching the pedal thing as well. Right now I'm looking at the AMT M1 pedal. Looks intriguing. Anyone have experience with those pedals?

I just got an offer to trade my amp and $300 for a Road King II. Can I get a decent Marshall tone from the Brit Channel?

rokcabilly said:
I just got an offer to trade my amp and $300 for a Road King II. Can I get a decent Marshall tone from the Brit Channel?

I do through my Roadster paired with a good pedal - you would have the advantage of flipping into EL34's without a tube change with a RKII. Hell of an amp ..

rokcabilly said:
Thanks. I was actually researching the pedal thing as well. Right now I'm looking at the AMT M1 pedal. Looks intriguing. Anyone have experience with those pedals?

Not that particular pedal but I currently have 3 AMT pedals, their pedal "emulations" of Bogner, Diezel and Peavey. I would say that for the relatively low price, they are sort of ok. The AMT Peavey pedal is currently my favorite of the three. And on its own, the AMT Bogner pedal actually sounded kind of like an OD-boosted JCM.

However, two general caveats regarding AMT pedals...

1) I have 3 and I don't think they sound too different from each other. With some amps, the AMT Peavey and Diezel Legend series pedals sound almost identical. Maybe just a slight difference in the EQ curve - D2 (AMT Diezel pedal) is slightly darker, and P2 (AMT Peavey pedal) is brighter and more aggressive. But the character of the distortion and so on is very much the same. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were basically the same pedals inside, with just one or two different components to make the base tone sound slightly different.

2) All 3 pedals sound great on their own and at bedroom volumes. However, in a band context and at band volumes...not so great. They sound plastic and transistor-like when you crank your amp, and it's really hard to get rid of that quality and make them sound like amp preamp distortion rather than cheap boxes! The AMT Bogner pedal is the worst offender in this regard.
In comparison, take a quality pedal like a Wampler (I have Triple Wreck and Plextortion), they tend to be just the opposite. They can be hard to dial in at bedroom volumes but when you crank your amp volume, they shine...just like real tube amps do.
Personally, I prefer pedals that sound great at band volume rather than at bedroom volume, for obvious reasons.

Also, note that the AMT Legend Series 1 (which M1 belongs to) is really meant to be used either alone for direct input or as a preamp connected to your amp FX loop return jack. You really cannot use it in front your amp - it doesn't have an output designed for that purpose, and will sound like crap if you do. If you want to use an AMT Legend Series pedal (still, after all that dissing from me :wink: ) in front of your amp, try the Legend Series 2 version, M2. It has a "Drive" output that is designed for using the pedal in front of your amp.

siggy14 said:
I would say get a pedal for your marshall tones, the wampler pedals are really good, so are the bogner pedals.

Heartily seconded!
The Wampler Plextortion I have is excellent for that purpose. Properly dialed in, it can get a pretty darn convincing JCM800 emulation from my 2-channel Dual Rector - and it also loves a TS style OD in front, just like a real Marshall does.
(Likewise, the Triple Wreck is great for approximating the Recto distortion with my Mark series amps.)

The blue Bogner Ecstacy pedal should also be great for getting that tight Marshall-style distortion.

Chester said:
rokcabilly said:

I do through my Roadster paired with a good pedal - you would have the advantage of flipping into EL34's without a tube change with a RKII. Hell of an amp ..

And with a RK II, one shouldn't even even need an external Marshall emulation pedal. Maybe just an OD, for color reasons, if nothing else.

For just $300, I'd say go for it!

Guys,

I really appreciate all of the input. I pulled the trigger on a straight up trade, my dual rec for a bogner uberschall and I couldn't be happier. Thanks for being so forthcoming with all of the info for a noobie.

Back